topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: WinPatrol 29.1 released today  (Read 6161 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
WinPatrol 29.1 released today
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:08 PM »
WinPatrol 29.1 released today:  http://www.winpatrol.com/

There's some stuff about a new AI feature. I haven't read it yet.  But I updated my copy. :)

http://filehippo.com...winpatrol/changelog/

Windows Defender didn't like it being installed.  So I turned WD real time shield off.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: WinPatrol 29.1 released today
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 03:34 PM »
I updated as well, though I must say I am a little concerned by the description and name of that AI feature :huh:.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 03:46 PM »
Heh heh. It used to be "feature creep."  Now I think the "innovations" will be less subtle.  I rue the day when I argue with my door lock to let me in the house or car.

Speaking of which, you are driving along at 120 MPH and the car accelerates to 250 MPH complaining "I ain't got all day!! Let's get there! I got other things to do besides drive you around!"  :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 02:13 PM »
I updated as well, though I must say I am a little concerned by the description and name of that AI feature :huh:.
What troubles me is the lack of meaningful description of the AI feature.  Why bother announcing it without giving us a good idea of what it does?  Or did I simply fail to see it?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:29 PM »
Seems top secret:
http://www.dslreport...-2013-v29.1-released

It sounds kind of like the info sharing only it stays on the local machine.  It will be interesting to see if it's a buzz generator or a true paradigm shift. (In Miami a "paradigm shift" is when you get 2 dime bags for the price of one.)  :)  Although in Publix I think they call it "buy one, get one free."  :)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 02:40 PM »
Seems top secret:
http://www.dslreport...-2013-v29.1-released
But this just repeats what was in the announcement on the WinPatrol website.  It doesn't really say what sorts of information "Artificial Intelligence Security" will deal with or what it will do.  I found myself wondering whether it might possibly interfere with the real-time monitoring of programs like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro.  Sorry, but I'm not happy installing mystery programs, even one from as respected a source as Bill P.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 03:17 PM »
I expect you'll be able to turn it off.  Like the "allow PLUS data collection" option.  If not I guess you just need to save the old installer.  :)

edit: so far I don't notice anything different.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 04:55 PM »
Well, until I can see a reason for installing 29.1, I think I'll stick with 29.0, which is what I have on my computers now.  If it ain't broke....

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Well, until I can see a reason for installing 29.1, I think I'll stick with 29.0, which is what I have on my computers now.  If it ain't broke....

I can't argue with that.  :)  I didn't have WP loaded yet on this new Laptop.  Windows Defender didn't like it.  So it can't be all bad/  :)