ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" just released

<< < (8/13) > >>

40hz:
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA G96M [GeForce GT 130M] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: [email protected]
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NV96 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.2.1 Direct Rendering: Yes

(something is missing or failing).
-dantheman (December 09, 2013, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

@DtM - Looks like the Nouveau driver can't set the screen for the resolution given at the 60hz clock frequency. Try installing the NVidia control panel utility. It's in Software manager. Do a search for nvidia-settings. Hopefully a tweak there will solve the problem. If you need to manually replace a driver, post a message on the Mint forum since that can get a little hairy if you need to remove the old one first.

But first check <System Tools><System Settings> and scroll down to the hardware section. Open the Device Drivers panel and see if there's a proprietary driver available for your video subsystem that needs to be enabled.

dantheman:
@40zh

That's better!
Went to the nvidia319 (recommended) in settings, rebooted things look better.
Thanks!  :Thmbsup:

whippy:
well it looks good ,
I  have been using mint13 cinnamon for sometime , So how does one update to newer version without losing all settings ?

dantheman:
This tutorial seems to have made some happy people:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/62

40hz:
This tutorial seems to have made some happy people:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/62
-dantheman (December 10, 2013, 05:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just be careful with doing that. Ubu-based distro upgrades don't always have happy endings when doing an apt-get-distro-upgrade. A lot of times you'll have a semi-broken or flaky system afterwards if you have a lot of libraries loaded from ppas as opposed to the official repositories. And especially if any of those ppas are Ubu version specific (i.e. there's one for Ubu Raring, one for Saucy, etc.) Those will all need to be manually updated to the correct versions before you run do a distro upgrade using apt if you want to avoid problems down the road.

Best bet is to backup your data (Note: most but not everything will be in the home directory so make sure you know where your apps store their data! Same thing goes for Windows upgrades btw.), have apt give you a list of what's installed, make a copy of your repository info - and ideally make a disk image of your entire machine in case total disaster strikes and you need to get back to where you were.

A clean or fresh "update" (i.e full clean replacement) is always your safest move.

It may be a pain, but it's a small pain that's worth putting up with where your own data is concerned.

(P.S. I've never had a real catastrophe going from one version or distro to another. But there's always a first time so I still go all "Sunday School" and take the most cautious and conservative approach whenever upgrading an OS. And that also goes for any upgrades I do with Windows, OSX, or BSD. Nothing is ever perfect - and "stuff" happens.  :huh:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version