ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: Linux Mint 16 "Petra" just released

<< < (5/13) > >>

dantheman:
Nice catch 40hz!  :Thmbsup:
First i've seen of that webpage and such a long well done presentation too!

Other than the first glitches expected on installation, standby mode failed at first try.

Now if i can figure out how to make Cinnamon boot second to Windows... boot config is read only and i always have a hard time to remember how to get into root mode. Not easy after 50!

40hz:
Now if i can figure out how to make Cinnamon boot second to Windows... boot config is read only and i always have a hard time to remember how to get into root mode. Not easy after 50!
-dantheman (December 04, 2013, 07:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

With Ubuntu derivatives there's seldom (if ever) any real need to run as root. At least most times. If you prefix a command with sudo (or gksudo) that will give you temporary admin privileges on anything you do with that command once you enter your password. (Ex: sudo gedit will open the text editor with root privileges.)

Might be easier for you to use Neosmart's EasyBCD as your boot profile manager. It's free for non-commercial and home use. Info and download link here.

:Thmbsup:

40hz:
I got to thinking whether remastering the LMDE iso with the latest update applied might be worth considering.
-ewemoa (December 03, 2013, 10:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! You're certainly nix-hardcore aren't you? :tellme: ;D

If you have the technical chops, time, and the interest to do something like that, might it make sense to create your own Debian spin? It would probably be easier than trying to reverse engineer what the Mint people did and remaster from there.

dantheman:
Thanks for the reminders 40hz - think i might just keep LM as default.
Although i've seen a few complaints on LM blog about problems with Cinnamon 16, it has never been better as far as i can recall!
Everything is basically 100% faster than before. Yes!!

40hz:
Thanks for the reminders 40hz - think i might just keep LM as default.
Although i've seen a few complaints on LM blog about problems with Cinnamon 16, it has never been better as far as i can recall!
Everything is basically 100% faster than before. Yes!!
-dantheman (December 04, 2013, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. That was my impression too. And especially obvious once I took it off a VM and installed it on real iron. In this case, 'real iron' is an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop (i5/8Gb RAM) which I inherited when the original owner (a client) tossed it because the HD went bad. I recovered it (with his permission) from the trash bin it was sitting in. Even got the power brick that went with it. After putting in a nice spankin' new 1TB HD I had sitting on the shelf, I was set to go. And all without me dorking with anything I was currently using.

Haven't had any problems (so far) with the new release or Cinnamon either. Knock wood!

Woo-Hoo! This beastie (it's huge) just might end up being my new main 'desktop" machine...
 :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version