ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

a backup solution that uses winRAR

<< < (4/6) > >>

Black Mamba:
Another very good choice would be Cobian Backup.

It's freeware.

thunder7:
Cobian Backup I had trouble with Cobian Backup working on my PC.

Tekzel:
I use Abakt - http://www.xs4all.nl/~edienske/abakt/.  It doesn't do a system state backup, it is more of a data backup util.  You can set up profiles and then execute them as groups ( I have about 9 profiles, in 3 or so groups).  It has built in zip support, but it also can use 7zip if you have it installed. This is what I use.

urlwolf:
the problem that I can see with windows backup is that you cannot search in the backup (like the catalog option in genie backup). Or can you? BTW, I like genie backup less and less each day. Very buggy. Is the compressed file produced by windows backup a simple zip file?

I haven't tried recovering a backup from dixml.

I don't think they store all the partition in xml. What they do is similar to the .CUE and .BIN formats for music. The partition is the .BIN, and the xml tells you where each file/directory starts and ends. Which is very smart, if that's what they do.

f0dder:
What are your problems with Genie? I'd be VERY interested in hearing this, as I'm considering a ~15 license purchase for it!

Genie backups are zip files with a few extra entries, windows backups are proprietary.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version