ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

a backup solution that uses winRAR

<< < (2/6) > >>

Carol Haynes:
If you want a basic file backup program which includes scheduling why not use Windows Backup ??

Start > Accessories > System Tools > Backup

It's free 'cos it is in Windows and it does incremental backups of any set of files you like and also compacts the backup too.

swing:
I recently stumbled over this excellent piece of software, you might wanna check it out ;)

http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

it's only usefull for full-drive backup, but for that purpose it is the best i have seen, and it's free :)

urlwolf:
dixml sounds like quite a finding.
Just the day after I bought acronis...
but with a CC, that can be fixed...

Carol Haynes:
I am intrigued to see they store backups as XML files ... won't that make them huge?? If you try it let us know what you think please.

Have you read the FAQs - it looks a bit on the picky side - plus you need to download and use other software to restore a trashed system, so you need to download and setup a WinPE Rescue CD with the restore routines installed there otherwise you would have to have enough space to install windows on another partition to run the restorer and still have enough space to make a partition at least as big as the original you backed up (it won't allow you to restore a small amount of data from a large, mostly empty, partition to a smaller partition).

You also need a big enough partition to make the backup and then manually burn, with third party software, DVDs, CDs etc. This is the way some like to work anyway.

swing:
There is an option to compress as you can see from the attached screenshot

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version