topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:51 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Running Windows XP Professional in Windows 8 (Not Pro)  (Read 4959 times)

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Running Windows XP Professional in Windows 8 (Not Pro)
« on: November 25, 2013, 01:36 AM »
I finally took the plunge from Windows XP to Windows 8 earlier this year, altogether skipping Vista and Windows 7.

Along the way, I kept my old Thinkpad running Windows XP because I had a couple of legacy programs that refused to launch in Windows 8 despite using different suggestions in the Microsoft Compatibility Troubleshooter.

Unfortunately the the program author has long abandoned the program.

So that left me with only one key alternative (since using the Thinkpad is such a pain - too slow.) - run Windows XP in virtual mode.

After doing quite a bit of research, I finally ended with two possible ways.

1. Run Windows XP Mode in VirtualBox
2. Run Windows XP Professional in VMPlayer

There is a thread here talking about WindowsXP Mode in Windows 7 Professional which has some relevance but not applicable.
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=27362.0

It seems that Windows XP Mode is meant only for Windows 7 Professional, yet I could download and extract VirtualXP.vhd from Microsoft via my Windows 8 after validating my Windows 8.

There's also quite a lot of conflicting information about how I can run it, via Virtualbox, via VMLite etc

For those interested in Running Windows XP Mode in VirtualBox there's an interesting post here

http://www.wolfwillo...MODE/Win8-XPMODE.php

Some other information here as well
http://lifehacker.co...or-free-in-windows-8

So I decided to go the other route with VMPlayer (which is free for personal use) since I already owned another licensed Windows XP Professional that's just gathering dust.

I installed this Windows Professional and it works. Naturally, it requires activation (within 30 days).

In the process of setting up Windows XP Professional in VMPlayer, there were several options that I had to decide on like the amount of Ram, the size of the virtual disk, USB3 drivers etc.

I was just wondering, if anyone knows if I activate my Windows XP Professional and then decided that my particular setup is no good, like maybe I should have used 1GB Ram instead of 512Mb, I may have to delete that VMplayer that I created and restart another Windows XP Professional installation.

When I try to activate my 2nd installation in a VMPlayer with Windows XP Professional (now with 1GB Ram and now maybe having a larger Virtual Disk), will I be unable to activate since I would be viewed as having already activated on another computer, that being the VMPlayer I had just deleted.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:17 AM by patteo »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Running Windows XP Professional in Windows 8 (Not Pro)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 04:17 AM »
I can't answer your specific questions but I am running VMLite XPMode, (rewrapped version of VirtualBox), on W7HP x64 using Microsoft' XPMode image.

The install defaulted to a virtual HDD of 127GB, (of which only 1.56GB is in use - the 127GB is quite generous considering the physical HDD was only 60GB :) ), and 512MB of RAM.  I'm not likely to change the virtual HDD size but changing the RAM is just a matter of moving a slider in the VM settings.

Didn't need to worry about activation because the image is already licensed.

rsatrioadi

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 04:29 AM »
By VMPlayer I assume you mean VMWare Player?

In VMWare (and probably all recent computer virtualization programs) you don't need to delete and recreate the virtual machine to change virtual hardware configurations, including RAM or hard drive size, networking, and even number of processor cores. In older versions of VMWare Player you'd need to use the Command Prompt to resize virtual hard drives, but since version 3 it can also be done easily from the Virtual Machine Settings window.

It is probably necessary to note that some settings can only be changed while the VM is turned off, so if you find some disabled text box or combo box you just need to turn the VM off first and they will be enabled.

I hope this helps.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:20 AM »
Regarding the activation question, if you decide to rebuild anyway, now or down the road, you'll most likely need to give Microsoft a call for the activation. But you have a legal license - presumably not an OEM license - so they should accommodate your request.  (An OEM license is only for use on the hardware it came with.)
vi vi vi - editor of the beast

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:25 AM »
Regarding the activation question, if you decide to rebuild anyway, now or down the road, you'll most likely need to give Microsoft a call for the activation. But you have a legal license - presumably not an OEM license - so they should accommodate your request.  (An OEM license is only for use on the hardware it came with.)

It's not an OEM license but a retail one.

I suppose another way to avoid the hassle of having to call Microsoft and be at their mercy is to make/keep a copy of the created virtual computer that has already been activated, just like making an image of a physical harddisk.

But I could not find a copy command in the VMPlayer menus.

I suppose I can just use File Explorer or DOPUS to find the directory and make the copy of the necessary folder. Hope this method of copying the image works.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 07:47 AM »
Patteo - about a year ago I created a virtual XP using VMWare Player 4.x on Win7 pro 64bit, and an OEM XP key.
It's almost impossible to find on their site, not sure if they've renamed it..
Found it, page link in quote -
down at the bottom you'll see this:

Free for Personal Use
Player Plus is licensed for commercial use but if you simply want to learn about virtual machines or run virtual machines at home you can always use VMware® Player™ for free!
Download Player for personal use.
- See more at: http://www.vmware.co...sthash.YVMTKQLy.dpuf

Note: I did a backup with Syncovery of the virtual XP - I did a successful restore from the backup shortly after. So a simple copy would/should work.

For the record, there was another thread about VMWare vs. other options:
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=31974.0
Tom