topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is Microsoft heading towards a non-Windows future  (Read 2439 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is Microsoft heading towards a non-Windows future
« on: November 25, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Interesting article over at The Register. Does Microsoft's future business plans no longer include Windows as we know it? Are they moving towards a hardware/software combination like Apple has done? And is Windows running on a general purpose PC going to become a thing of the past as the corporate focus shifts towards WindowsPhone OS and Windows-RT on the ARM platform? And possibly a version of Windows that is more "locked-down" to use Julie Larson-Green of Microsoft's words...hmm...

Microsoft's hardware chief has given the strongest indication yet that Microsoft has too many operating systems.

"We have the Windows Phone OS. We have Windows RT and we have full Windows. We're not going to have three," Julie Larson-Green told the audience at a UBS investor event. Larson-Green looks after the "Devices and Studios Engineering Group", the part of Redmond where the Surface hardware and the Xbox games console is built.

It's been suggested, rumored and bandied about in several places before. Might this be the first clear signal this is where Redmond is going?

And she kept on tellin' me, kept on tellin' me, kept on tellin' me...
I want you
I need you
But there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you
Now don't be sad
'Cause two out of three ain't bad

The Register article is here.

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is Microsoft heading towards a non-Windows future
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Hmph.

How to say it? Everyone is crazy to get that tablet market because it's growing so quickly. Makes it so easy to forget who brung you to the dance.  Do away with "full Windows" and kill Technet at a reasonable price, and you'll end up with a hundred thousand versions of Angry Birds in your locked-down store, but the people who need specialized small-volume stuff for their business will be running it under Linux -- because the people who are writing it won't be developing it in Visual Studio...

Remember, after Star Trek, Leonard Nimoy wrote "I Am Not Spock"?  And then, when he finally gave up fighting it, he came back and wrote "I Am Spock"?  Not everybody gets that other chance.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast