ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

e-book how-to - looking for MS Word & etc.

<< < (3/4) > >>

tomos:
Compatability is not generally a problem. But you never know. Depends on what you're doing and how fussy you are.
I'd try a free suite first, you'll probably be fine with it.

Another aspect:
I presume that older versions of Word will not be able to open the docx files created by the newest versions - you'd be better off with LibreOffice from that POV (I presume AbiWord can handle them too - not sure about Softmaker's free version though).

bit:
Compatability is not generally a problem. But you never know. Depends on what you're doing and how fussy you are.
I'd try a free suite first, you'll probably be fine with it.

Another aspect:
I presume that older versions of Word will not be able to open the docx files created by the newest versions - you'd be better off with LibreOffice from that POV (I presume AbiWord can handle them too - not sure about Softmaker's free version though).
-tomos (November 26, 2013, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, I need to create an e-text for a project, complete with clickable dynamic Table of Contents, suitable for upload to Kindle.
Tried ePubIt, which seemed unable to do the job.
InfoHesivePE won't work, due to this issue.
...in which its own creators say it can't make a TOC, and is no longer supported by bug fix updates.
They say to use MobiPocket Creator, but I tried that and could not figure out heads or tails of it.

Supposedly MS Word can do it, but MS Word 2007 is about $180 on ebay, and I'm not a student or employee for the $10 version.
I see MS Word 2003 is a lot cheaper on ebay, but you say it may not be able to open the docx files created by the newest versions.

The text file and TOC is all written up and laid out in simple text format, and just needs that clickable TOC with some kind of anchors, or bookmarks, or hyperlinks, or whatever it is, and then to figure out how to do the Kindle sidebar TOC as well.

Scott_Y:
I presume that older versions of Word will not be able to open the docx files created by the newest versions-tomos (November 26, 2013, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is not a problem. The free MS Office Compatibility Pack enables older versions of Word to open the newer docx format. Likewise for Excel and Powerpoint. I've used it many times myself in Word 2003. Download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3

bit:
I presume that older versions of Word will not be able to open the docx files created by the newest versions-tomos (November 26, 2013, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---
This is not a problem. The MS Office Compatibility Pack enables older versions of Word to open the newer docx format. Likewise for Excel and Powerpoint. I've used it many times myself in Word 2003. Download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=3
-Scott_Y (November 28, 2013, 08:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
MS Word 2003 isn't as cheap as I thought. The ebay seller wants $30 for the product, but then I discovered it's gimmicked with $30 for shipping. I'm not quite ready to spring that much for it. Tnx just the same. :)

update- Found a nice deal here on Amazon for $4.91 used + $3.99 s/h, but not sure if it will demand to 'phone home' and make me prove if I'm a student or something which I'm not.
However one reviewer seems to say it works for him/her just fine while implying they're not a student, and it self-activated and did not have to be authenticated by a key.

update- Okay, picked one up from Amazon for about $9.98 grand total, and I'll be happy to report on the outcome when it arrives in a few days. Tnx.

tomos:
update- Okay, picked one up from Amazon for about $9.98 grand total, and I'll be happy to report on the outcome when it arrives in a few days. Tnx.
-bit (November 28, 2013, 11:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good.
I was just going to say that it might be worth starting a new thread asking specifically about e-book creation. Hopefully Word can do that...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version