ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Your tax dollars at work: Now FDA proposes to ban a brand of cookie?

<< < (2/6) > >>

rgdot:
All I know is that an oil that is naturally solid or semi solid at room or body temperature - and nonsoluble - can be more dangerous and has more clogging capacity. That is more common sense than science. Fat from butter worse than vegetable oil, shortening worse than corn oil, etc.

Role of government in quality of life...some people wish to make it an individual's own responsibility, no problem there as long as you are not substituting the gov with corporations and framing it as an individual choice

Stoic Joker:
Cookies don't kill people. People that smuggle illegal cookies across borders because some jackass outlawed them kill people.

If the government really wanted to put an end to organized crime, they'd stop outlawing dumb shit that people actually happen to like. But instead they continue to cause the problem...just so they can pretend to be fixing it.

tomos:
Fat from butter worse than vegetable oil
-rgdot (November 24, 2013, 02:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

very much debatable there. Depends on a lot of stuff (oil - which oil?). Butter used be very much maligned, but not so much in recent years.

Fats in general were very much maligned for years. Again, scientific opinion has changed over the years. Now certain fats are considered very good for you. Then there are other theories e.g about combinations of certain foods being good or bad for you: meat + fat; sugar + almost anything (!); etc. etc. I guess the FDA cant regulate those (if proven).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As to the FDA, I do have a fairly strong opinion of them, but dont particularly want to air it here on dc.

4wd:
The ABC's Catalyst program just recently aired a two part series called Heart of the Matter which was based on the subject of the decades long war against cholesterol.

You can download it from: Catalyst Video Downloads (not geo-locked)

SeraphimLabs:
Cookies don't kill people. People that smuggle illegal cookies across borders because some jackass outlawed them kill people.

If the government really wanted to put an end to organized crime, they'd stop outlawing dumb shit that people actually happen to like. But instead they continue to cause the problem...just so they can pretend to be fixing it.
-Stoic Joker (November 24, 2013, 03:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have a batch of cookies in the oven right now.

Are they going to come arrest me for posession of contraband because I've made cookies according to Grandma's favorite recipe that has not been approved by the FDA and may contain traces of soap and whatever other contaminants are on the dishes I used to mix it?

Oh by the way, they might as well ban the use of a household oven too. Because people use those far more often for baking up unhealthy desserts than preparing healthy meals like garlic bread and pizza- which is a vegetable according to the FDA and therefore healthy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version