ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

AOMEI Backupper FREE + AOMEI Partition Assistant FREE - Mini-Review

<< < (6/12) > >>

tomos:
When you create an image, the whole concept is to take everything.  If you don't want that, you are making a plain file backup.-Shades (August 01, 2015, 08:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

hiberfile.sys and the paging file are often excluded by default by this type of software when creating an image file
-tomos (August 01, 2015, 09:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I contacted Aomei re this. English wasn't so good, but IIUC:
Aomei Backupper does *not* copy the paging file, but does copy everything else.
There are no options (in any version) to exclude files when creating an image.

dr_andus:
Would any of you know whether the incremental backup in AOMEI works with the System Backup or only with Disk Backup?

IainB:
@dr_andus: Not sure I understand the Q or what you are requiring to do. For example, what's the difference between your definitions of the System backup and the Disk backup?
If the system files are on the same disk as all your data, then presumably they can be backed up incrementally, if you specify that for the relevant system folders when running backups. Not sure what the value would be in that though.
Of course, reverting to an earlier restore point would enable you to restore the system to the state it was in at an earlier date/time.
OTOH, making a new disk image copy (clone) would create a recoverable full disk and system image as at that date/time, but, AFAIK the disk image copy/clone can't be incrementally updated - i.e., it's frozen as a snapshot as at a particular date/time.
Not sure whether this helps.

dr_andus:
@dr_andus: Not sure I understand the Q or what you are requiring to do. For example, what's the difference between your definitions of the System backup and the Disk backup?-IainB (May 02, 2016, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was referring two the two backup options in the AOMEI interface, as they call them:

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/images/system-backup/system-backup.gif

If the system files are on the same disk as all your data, then presumably they can be backed up incrementally, if you specify that for the relevant system folders when running backups. Not sure what the value would be in that though
-IainB (May 02, 2016, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was reading up on it in their help file,

Free Incremental Backup and Differential Backup Software

and apparently with the Incremental Backup you can save time and disk space, as it builds upon the previous backup.

What wasn't clear to me whether this only refers to the Disk Backup feature or also to the System Backup feature.

dr_andus:
P.S. I just noticed on the Help page they do say

Note: Also you can create a full backup of disks or system partitions by selecting "Disk/System Backup" here.
--- End quote ---

so maybe that means the answer is 'yes'?

Has anyone tried this, by any chance? I don't have much experience with this class of software, so I just want to make sure I'm not messing anything up.

It took over 7 hrs today to back up my system and then verify the backup, so I'd rather not do a full system backup every time if I don't have to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version