ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can I find out what is restarting my PC automatically?

<< < (7/13) > >>

Stoic Joker:
If you just want a quick list of shutdown events try uptime.exe with the /S switch.

It was originally for NT4, but still runs on Win7.

Oh yeah...this is a command line program, so there is no GUI.

dr_andus:
Look at the Event Logs
-4wd (November 24, 2013, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that. I found two unusual events (see screenshots below).

Firstly, in the ECEEventLog (whatever that is), for the last 5 days I have 743 events, and they all seem to relate to  ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.DeviceDFP.Graphics.Runtime.RT_DeviceDFP, which seems to point to my ATI Radeon graphics card. Is that bad?

Secondly, under Administrative Events, I have 2374 errors (out of 2,445 errors in total) for the last 7 days, produced by Apple's Bonjour Service. I imagine this is for syncing with iCloud (which I don't really use), and checking whether I have the latest iTunes (which I don't really use). Is this something bad enough that it would be better for me to block this somehow?

4wd:
If you just want a quick list of shutdown events try uptime.exe with the /S switch.-Stoic Joker (November 25, 2013, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

DOH!  Forgot about that but I'm not sure that it's going to be 100% accurate, eg.

The above Critical event is due to a power outage, when I ran uptime /s it crashed and terminated when it got that event:

And the time was way off, (~9 hours).

Of course, it could have crashed due to something it didn't like on my system but then again ...

Look at the Event Logs
-4wd (November 24, 2013, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that. I found two unusual events (see screenshots below).-dr_andus (November 25, 2013, 07:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

SJ suggested the Event logs originally  ;)

Firstly, in the ECEEventLog (whatever that is), for the last 5 days I have 743 events, and they all seem to relate to  ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.DeviceDFP.Graphics.Runtime.RT_DeviceDFP, which seems to point to my ATI Radeon graphics card. Is that bad?
--- End quote ---

The ATI graphics driver restarts itself whenever it suffers a critical problem, IIRC.

More interesting:

Secondly, under Administrative Events, I have 2374 errors (out of 2,445 errors in total) for the last 7 days, produced by Apple's Bonjour Service. I imagine this is for syncing with iCloud (which I don't really use), and checking whether I have the latest iTunes (which I don't really use). Is this something bad enough that it would be better for me to block this somehow?
--- End quote ---

These events are happening one minute before the ATI driver has a hernia.  Can you check to see if that trend is followed with prior events, (the sample on the captures is rather small) ?

The Bonjour service is used to discover any other Apple devices on the local network and setup communication with them, (IIRIR).  If you don't use iTunes I'd be sorely tempted to remove it and every trace of it, including Bonjour.

dr_andus:
These events are happening one minute before the ATI driver has a hernia.  Can you check to see if that trend is followed with prior events, (the sample on the captures is rather small) ?
-4wd (November 25, 2013, 04:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

No. That seems to have been just a coincidence. But the ATI driver does seem to be crashing a lot then. It has given me 21 events only today (and I'm only counting the events occurring at different times, as I had 13 events at 23:29:40 alone), even though I haven't noticed anything unusual happening.

But I still need to clean the dust, if this could have something to do with overheating.

BTW, when I click on Event Log Online Help, I get the following message:

Then it takes me to an MS website which says "Results for: Microsoft Product: .NET Framework; Version: 2.0.50727.4927; Event ID: 0; Event Source: ACEEventLogSource; No results were found for your query."

So what has the .NET Framework got to do with all this (ATI driver crashes)?

Target:
I had a browse through and didn't see this mentioned, so...

have you tried booting to safe mode?  You probably wouldn't want to work there but as it loads a minimal amount of drivers etc it's a good way to (potentially) rule out a few candidates

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version