ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can I find out what is restarting my PC automatically?

(1/13) > >>

dr_andus:
In recent days my Win 7, 64-bit PC has restarted itself automatically a number of times and I don't know why it is doing that and how I can prevent it from happening. Usually it happens when I wake up the computer and it is asking me to log on, having restarted itself. It does not restart the applications that were open at the time of shutting down.

The only major new installation I had done in recent days is that I have updated to IE11 (that is my latest restoration point).

Some other software I had updated or installed this week include TreeSheets and Ynote Classic, and AdBlock Plus. I use AVG 2014, Malwarebytes and WinPatrol Plus, but none of them have reported anything suspicious.

Oh, also, the first IE11 installation had failed, and it even put a shortcut on my desktop to its troubleshooting page, but the second installation seems to have worked (other than the above behaviour, if it's related).

Any suggestions how I can find out what's causing this behaviour and how I can stop it would be much appreciated.

MilesAhead:
It may not be an application doing it.  Windows 7 is set by default to reboot on a hard error.  Since IE seemed to have a problem on install, I would try either removing it or using the restore point to see if you can remove the cause of the error.

If that doesn't do it then the next step would be to read the event logs looking for errors.  But I'd try uninstalling IE, if it lets you, as the first step.

Edit: you can turn off the Restart on Error to test if it's an error or program causing it. This post tells how to change the setting.

hpearce:
You may also want to consider whether this happens after a SLEEP ....  I have this problem sometimes which I attribute to a driver not liking the sleep.

MilesAhead:
You may also want to consider whether this happens after a SLEEP ....  I have this problem sometimes which I attribute to a driver not liking the sleep.
-hpearce (November 22, 2013, 11:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good point.  That was my first thought.  Then I got distracted finding the hard error boot enable/disable.  Lots or problems with sleep and hibernation.  So far I've never tried either.  :)

Stoic Joker:
So for clarity:
Is the machine rebooting when you try to wake it up, or are you noticing that it has rebooted - presumable sometime in the night - after you wake it up, get to the desktop, and see that the thing that were left running aren't anymore?

Either way I'd start with the event logs to avoid making things worse if it's a memory or disk issue. Look for any critical events that may be listed (just before and/or after the reboot), and let us know what you find.

How is the power in your area, and are you running a battery backup (if yes, how old is it)?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version