ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can I find out what is restarting my PC automatically?

<< < (9/13) > >>

dr_andus:
I don't know that anybody hates Bonjour more than I do, but I can't see it doing this. So I'd stay focused on the video angle for now.
-Stoic Joker (November 26, 2013, 07:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have disabled Bonjour (using WinPatrol Pro), but the ATI errors keep happening. They seem to be more varied now, but they all seem to have something to do with Catalyst Control Center. E.g.

Exception <UpdateJumpLists>: A valid active Window is needed to update the Taskbar
 Exception  Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Component.Dashboard.DBFavouritesSectionVMController::DoSetTree 

Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Branding\BrandingResourcesNet4.dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
Error      Called by: System.RuntimeTypeHandle::CreateInstance

Failed to retrieve Fuel shared caste
 Error      Called by: ATI.ACE.CCC.Implementation.CCC_Main::CCCNewThreadBegin     

Could not find Type [ATI.ACE.CLI.AIB.TutorialInfoCentre.Tutorial.Dashboard.DB_TutorialInfoCentre] from [CLI.AIB.TutorialInfoCentre.Tutorial.Dashboard] in assembly [CLI.AIB.TutorialInfoCentre.Tutorial.Dashboard]
 Error      Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Component.Client.Shared.Private.BaseCaste::ProcessAspects   

Exception <Load>: Could not load file or assembly 'CLI.AIB.TutorialInfoCentre.Tutorial.Dashboard' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
 Exception  Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Component.Client.Shared.Private.BaseCaste::LoadAspects     

Failed to subscrive to HKCU;software\wow6432node\ati\ace\settings\aem
 Error      Called by: System.Threading.ExecutionContext::runTryCode       

FAILED: ADL.ADL.ADL_DFP_AllowOnlyCETimings_Get
 Error      Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.DeviceDFP.Graphics.Runtime.RT_DeviceDFP::NotifyeeValueUpdated                         

IDEMDeviceDFP2Settings_0812.GetDFP2ITCFlag failed with status 7
 Error      Called by: ATI.ACE.CLI.Aspect.DeviceDFP.Graphics.Runtime.RT_DeviceDFP::NotifyeeValueUpdated

iDEMDeviceDFP2Settings.GetDFP2DVIReduceBlankingInfo failed with status 7

--- End quote ---
These all occured within a minute or two (and the list goes on).

Reliability History also tells me that I had a "critical event" yesterday: Video hardware error.

In the meantime I'd cleaned out the dust from the PC, using a fine brush  ;), but that didn't seem to make a difference.

dr_andus:
I'd just realised that there was a stupid option in Catalyst Control Center (CCC) that says "Allow Web content," which hid the links to "Check for driver updates." It turned out that I didn't have the latest driver, so I downloaded the installer.

It took well over an hour to install everything. It installed the new driver, removed .NET 4.0 and installed .NET 4.5, MS Visual C++ 2012 x86, and a new version of AMD CCC.

But the error reports in the ACEEventLog continue, looking very similar to the ones above.

How worried should I be about these? The original automatic re-boot problem seems to have stopped, and all 3 of my monitors work fine. This is not affecting my work currently in any way.

4wd:
How worried should I be about these? The original automatic re-boot problem seems to have stopped, and all 3 of my monitors work fine. This is not affecting my work currently in any way.-dr_andus (November 26, 2013, 08:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I guess that depends on how reliable you perceive your computer to be.  :)

They seem to be Information events, (which I didn't notice before) - you can generally ignore them.

I have tons of Information alerts coming from the AMD drivers in the ACEEventLog.

Given that the computer is no longer restarting I'll throw in with SJ and say it was video related.  Probably some recent update not interacting well with the old drivers.

One thing you could have done while dusting out the computer was remove the video card and then plug it back in again - ensures it's firmly seated and hasn't "crept" in the socket.

All-in-all, if it can survive the week without either the original or a new fault occurring, then I'd chalk it up to the drivers.

clk4suport:
HI,

Sorry to hear that about your computer.
In my opinion, you have take it at service center because as you know PC's are very delicate items so, if any thing goes out of track then its definitely not good for you. So, you have to go.

dr_andus:
I may have spoken too soon, as after having put it to sleep last night, this morning when I woke the PC, it was in a rebooted state, asking me to log on.

Now there is one (to me) curious aspect to this: how can a PC reboot itself while it is sleeping? I don't hear any noise whatsoever... No fans, no disks, nothing. Or does it happen while it's pretending to go to sleep? Granted, the time it is taking to go to sleep has gotten longer in recent weeks, and it can take from 30 sec up to a minute.

Here is the second curious thing. When I checked the Reliability Monitor this morning, it told me I had 27 Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 updates, security updates, and application reconfigurations between 03:08 and 03:25. Now, both me and my PC were fast asleep then. So, how could it have been doing all these installations during that time? Could it be then Microsoft that has rebooted my machine overnight to finish the update?

If so, I'd really like to (un)check some box somewhere to make it ask me first before it reboots my PC...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version