ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How can I find out what is restarting my PC automatically?

<< < (6/13) > >>

mouser:
Getting back to the original question, can someone summarize whether, if you walk into the room and find your computer has shutdown (or restarted), what tool can you run (if any) to tell you WHY it last shutdown/restarted?

4wd:
Look at the Event Logs/Reliability History, the reason it shut down should be supplied along with the event.  However, if it was a spontaneous event, (eg. power removal - non-UPS backup, catastrophic software failure, etc), then you'll probably never have an idea as the system dies before anything can be written.

eg.

If you want a filter for the Event Log for startup/shutdown events, see here.

mouser:
Thanks, 4wd.

x16wda:
Does Win 7 still record the 6008 event in the system event log? That would at least tell you if the shutdown was unexpected.

4wd:
Does Win 7 still record the 6008 event in the system event log? That would at least tell you if the shutdown was unexpected.
-x16wda (November 24, 2013, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Event ID 6008 - Looks like it still does.

I'll tweak my filter a little and see if I can catch all shutdown/startup events.

Edit: Here we go, I don't know if it will catch software crashes but it should let you see that any event that says whether the system shutdown cleanly or not so you can search for other near-time events.

See here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version