ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

New program: FileSearchy - Quick file search utility (freeware)

<< < (2/11) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I hope that most Windows users do have admin rights.-Cashper (November 22, 2013, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

That unfortunately does not align with industry trends/best practices which have been gaining momentum over the last decade. Even Administrators for the past several years are urged to avoid engaging day-to-day activities with administrative rights because of the massive amount of risk involved in one small slipup taking down a corporate network.

As for non-admin users, technically it is possible to bypass UAC, for example, by installing a service (permissions are needed only on install in this case).
But it will not take into account file permissions and will search through all files.-Cashper (November 22, 2013, 07:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking as an Admin...if one of the users came to me with that as a request ... I would probably set them on fire. :)

Is there a possibility of mode switching the application so that it could be started in a lower performance but still user (level) account accessible state? IIRC this can be don't with an at launch runtime prompt so it wouldn't (/shouldn't) require requiring the user to deal with hotkeys or command line switches. Perhaps a quick rights test and then a dialog prompt appears if/as necessary.

It would go a long way towards making the application business network friendly.

Cashper:
Is there a possibility of mode switching the application so that it could be started in a lower performance but still user (level) account accessible state? IIRC this can be don't with an at launch runtime prompt so it wouldn't (/shouldn't) require requiring the user to deal with hotkeys or command line switches. Perhaps a quick rights test and then a dialog prompt appears if/as necessary.

It would go a long way towards making the application business network friendly.
-Stoic Joker (November 22, 2013, 08:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, this is possible. I will probably add this possibility in future versions. Thanks for your input!

rgdot:
Thanks for this, writing a brief review.
The In directory browse button doesn't actually browser for a folder but individual files on XP

MilesAhead:
Hmm, I wonder if it's that Everything Search either doesn't use the journal or doesn't search contents that enables it to run without the UAC trigger.  I thought I had it set to Run As Administrator but I just checked and it's not.

It definitely uses the MFTs to get the index.

4wd:
Hmm, I wonder if it's that Everything Search either doesn't use the journal or doesn't search contents that enables it to run without the UAC trigger.  I thought I had it set to Run As Administrator but I just checked and it's not.

It definitely uses the MFTs to get the index.-MilesAhead (November 22, 2013, 01:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Latest versions, (1.3.1.636b+), install a service, (if necessary), so the interface doesn't need to run with admin privileges.

Wednesday, 20 February 2013: Version 1.3.1.636b
   added %APPDATA% option
   added Everything service option
   added search history option
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version