ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2014

NANY 2014 Release: ImgFloat (a tool for Screenshot Captor)

<< < (3/11) > >>

mouser:
I think that sounds reasonable wraith, if i'm understanding..

It sounds like you've addressed my main concern -- which is that it won't install and start itself at startup as i understand it, but run on first actual use, and then just, in your way of thinking, stay running until you don't want it to anymore.

Let me see if i can clarify what i would be interested in from a different perspective, and again this is just my personal tastes i'm not saying they should be yours.

I would want to be able to "install" ImgFloat and use it occasionally (let's say one day a week when working on specific job), and not have it always running invisibly n the background.

I guess when i think about it -- this really puts you in a difficult position in terms of coding this as an external tool:
1. you have to worry about startup times.
2. there's no easy way to let user super-easily toggle this feature on or off as they need it.

i suppose those would be arguments for building this feature into SC if it was something many people needed -- so you are in a catch-22..

however, lets assume that there is value in doing it as a standalone tool -- perhaps not just useful from SC but from other apps, and get back to my main concerns about how it runs..

and i should also admit something else, which is that with today's large memory -- it's hard to justify caring about whether this is running as a background process -- it really won't be doing any harm.

it's more a psychological thing about having a background process running if i'm not going to be using it except for once a week or once a month.

i guess it's not really something i have a need for, so perhaps i'm not useful for thinking about this.  perhaps those that want this will be using it so frequently that they won't mind having a background process running all the time, and won't mind an always visible tray icon where they can exit the background process (or would the only way to see that it's running and kill it be from task manager?).

If there was an option to not stay-resident that might at least make it useful for people like me who just want to play with it on rare occasions..

wraith808:
I'd toyed with adding an option to make it so that when you close the window it closes the whole application... I've been kicking this around a lot which (in addition to NaNoWriMo) are the reasons I haven't yet posted another iteration.

It had also been suggested that there be a way to turn it on and off so that you don't have to configure it in SSC when you need it/don't need it.  There were two ways for me to do it, and I've vacillated between the two:
1. Since the relay application is so small, I could just check for that option toggled in imgfloat before opening the image/opening the main application.  There's still a slight hit to it, but not major.
2. Directly edit the SSC ini file.  I see how the tools are added, and could parse it with regex to add and remove it... but I'm really leery of this approach.

I'm leaning towards option 1.  My plan is to knock out a lot of these decisions this week, and post another iteration of it with the changes in place.

wraith808:
A new version is posted- it's at the same link as above. 

This version implements the settings dialog with the ability to disable imgfloat on the fly so that SSC doesn't use it without having to edit SSC configuration.  It also introduces opacity controls, though I need to smooth them out a bit, and the ability to always exit ImgFloat when you close the image rather than having the tooltray icon stick around.  Note that it will take longer to load after each screenshot if you click it.

The settings dialog can be accessed from right clicking the tooltray menu, or clicking the little ghosted out cog in the upper right corner of the image overlay (it ghosts in a bit more when you mouse over it).

When you unzip, you'll notice that there's a PortableConfig folder.  This has a default configuration file; if you put this into your app directory, ImgFloat will be completely portable and not write to anywhere else.  If it is not there, it will assume that it should use the AppData directory.  The option to use the appdata directory is there because if you put it into program files, I can't write to the directory.

There is also an option to directly run the imgfloatservice.exe from SSC if you want to totally do away with the startup service; make sure that you have it set to exit after each capture if you use this, and it hasn't been extensively tested (i put it in for unit testing and debugging).  You'd just replace imgfloat.exe with imgfloatservice.exe in the SSC options.

Thanks to Chris for the great suggestions and feedback!

skwire:
Really nice, wraith808.  I like how smooth it is when you resize the floating window.   :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
Thanks! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version