ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

central addressbook software for syncing everything with everything

<< < (4/9) > >>

superboyac:
Your address book is your address book which you can access from anywhere/thing. You can share your address book with other users on the same system, but it is typically restricted to just you.

The global address book is globally available to all users of the system. Distribution lists that are to be accessible by all users in a company will typically be in the global address list. This is designed to be accessed by everyone, and cannot be restricted.
-Stoic Joker (November 20, 2013, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks.  So far, this is working quite well!  All the contacts are syncing up on my phone.  To test it, I turned off the contacts from other accounts and so I'm only using the office365 addressbook, and everything is fine.  The linkedin profile photos are not showing up on the phone, even though they show up on the desktop internet version.  But that may be because it's witing for a wifi connection to sync the photos.  That will have to wait until tonight.

I like it.  Great suggestion Stoic!

superboyac:
Actually, upon closer inspection, it doesn't appear to be working as expected.  As you can see from the screenshot above, there are 3 subfolders under "My COntacts".  The only one that gets synced is the subfolder "Contacts".  From Microsoft's FAQ:
Can I synchronize multiple calendar or contacts folders?
You can only synchronize your default calendar folder, contact folder, and tasks folder.
--- End quote ---

The problem is that those other folder like facebook and linkedin have additional information that is merged with contacts in the "Contacts" folder.  on the website, everything works beautifully, pictures,merged stuff, etc.  but on the phone, only the info from contacts shows up.  So this is not working any better than any other solution.

Looks like if you want contacts merged properly and synced properly on a phone, the only option is a windows phone.  sad.  because windows phones suck.

superboyac:
I may have to start looking for a contact manager service that i pay for.

superboyac:
CardDav.  This is something I'm looking at...

Stoic Joker:
As you can see from the screenshot above, there are 3 subfolders...-superboyac (November 21, 2013, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

Screenshots?

The only one that gets synced is the subfolder "Contacts".  From Microsoft's FAQ:
Can I synchronize multiple calendar or contacts folders?
You can only synchronize your default calendar folder, contact folder, and tasks folder.
--- End quote ---

The problem is that those other folder like facebook and linkedin have additional information that is merged with contacts in the "Contacts" folder.  on the website, everything works beautifully, pictures,merged stuff, etc.  but on the phone, only the info from contacts shows up.  So this is not working any better than any other solution.-superboyac (November 21, 2013, 10:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

You can only sync one folder but there can be multiple items (calendars/contacts/etc.) in that folder ... But I'm not sure what you're looking at. If it worked on the Windows phone, and I know at least calendars work fine in the iStuff, it stands to reason it should work on the android as well. But that may depend on the IMAP client software. I'm assuming that with the Windows phone you were using Outlook ... And there should be an option with the 365 demo to get whatever variant on Outlook they have available for Android to see what if any impact it may have on the behavior.

There is also the option of calling MS for support to see if there is a configuration option to pull those together.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version