ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I hate the word "anathema"

<< < (5/5)

J-Mac:
Both words mean "capable of burning".  No other real difference. In the US manufacturers are required to use only the word "flammable", but any products already labelled with "inflammable" do not have to be changed. It is really just an instance where the prefix "in" is really out of place. "in" as a prefix has two meanings: 1) 'not' or 'lacking' as in inedible, illegal, implausible, irreverent.  2) 'into, in, on, upon' as with income, intake, implant. Most of the time the difference is fairly clear, but not so with "inflammable".

Thought this was funny:

[attachimg=#1][/attachimg]

Jim

superboyac:
Both words mean "capable of burning".  No other real difference. In the US manufacturers are required to use only the word "flammable", but any products already labelled with "inflammable" do not have to be changed. It is really just an instance where the prefix "in" is really out of place. "in" as a prefix has two meanings: 1) 'not' or 'lacking' as in inedible, illegal, implausible, irreverent.  2) 'into, in, on, upon' as with income, intake, implant. Most of the time the difference is fairly clear, but not so with "inflammable".

Thought this was funny:
 (see attachment in previous post)
Jim
-J-Mac (November 16, 2013, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
lol!

Deozaan:
It is really just an instance where the prefix "in" is really out of place. "in" as a prefix has two meanings: 1) 'not' or 'lacking' as in inedible, illegal, implausible, irreverent.-J-Mac (November 16, 2013, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Only one of those examples starts with "in-" as a prefix. :huh:

And that image is wrong. Invaluable doesn't mean very valuable. It means you can't place a value on it. It's priceless. ("Priceless" is another word that I often was confused about its meaning as a child. I confused it with worthless.)

How about this one?

a- as a prefix usually means "without" or "not", such as amoral or asexual.

But once again, when referring to fire, it just means there's definitely fire: aflame

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version