topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:52 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Software to use the desktop mic/speakers to talk on Android phone?  (Read 14840 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not having any luck finding this:
I have an Android phone, and when I'm at home, I want to answer calls and make calls from my desktop pc (Windows).  Is there some kind of hardware/software combination that will allow me to do this?  There are a lot of apps for remote access to the phone, so they can dial the phone...but you still have to put the physical phone to your ear (or use it's speakerphone) for the actual calls.  I want to use the mic on my desktop as the phone (with the speakers or headphones).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Software to use the desktop mic/speakers to talk on Android phone?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Google Voice?

Or some sort of bluetooth headset thingy?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 04:48 PM »
Hmmm...I've been playing around with Google Voice, but it's not exactly what I want.  I'll explain...

A bluetooth headset connects directly to the phone and you basically talk through the headset using the phone.  I want something a little different.  I want to speak through the mics connected to my computer and hear the other side through the speakers connected to my computer.  Is there such a thing?  I just want the computer to know I have a cell service and the computer is the headset instead of the actual phone.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 04:53 PM »
edit...
I just tried google voice.  Again, if you go on the website with your pc, it will dial a number, but it dials it through your actual android phone.  So I click on dial, then my phone starts ringing, then I use my phone to talk to the other side.  basically, it just dials my phone for me.  big deal.  I want to talk through the computer.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I do it all the time using my Google Voice number through Google Talk.

Well, it's actually been renamed to Google Hangouts. But basically, just open up Gmail or Google+ and Hangouts, then make a call to a phone.

Google+/Hangouts:

Screenshot - 13-11-11, 17-14-10.pngSoftware to use the desktop mic/speakers to talk on Android phone?

Gmail/Hangouts:

Screenshot - 13-11-11, 17-15-16.pngSoftware to use the desktop mic/speakers to talk on Android phone? Screenshot - 13-11-11, 17-15-51.pngSoftware to use the desktop mic/speakers to talk on Android phone?

I've been doing this for at least two years. I don't even have phone service most of the time. I just use Google Voice when I'm connected to the internet (even on my Android phone).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:23 PM by Deozaan »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 06:36 PM »
If the phone is connected to the computer and installs as a modem, why not give the windows phone dialer a shot. Assuming it's still in there somewhere...(I haven't gone looking for it since Win2k)...that's what it used to be for.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 02:30 AM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I do it all the time using my Google Voice number through Google Talk. Well, it's actually been renamed to Google Hangouts. But basically, just open up Gmail or Google+ and Hangouts, then make a call to a phone. I don't even have phone service most of the time. I just use Google Voice when I'm connected to the internet (even on my Android phone).

Hangouts seems not to be free of charge. How much money are you spending for how many national calling hours per month? I mean, is it really really cheap?

After-edited:
I have found the prices, and unless you are in the USA or India, it is not even cheap. I phone a lot cheaper. https://www.google.com/voice/rates

Well, the idea sounded good.  :up:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 02:46 AM by Curt »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 03:56 AM »
It's free in the USA and Canada. I don't make any international phone calls.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 04:04 AM »
It's free in the USA and Canada.

-then it is obviously the wrong service and chart I have linked to!

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 01:50 PM »
I think Deo is right, the google voice way is the best option currently.  I was trying to basically have my computer use my cell phone service inside the machine, but that is not possible.  the best i can do is receive alerts and notifications from my phone visible on my desktop, and then use google voice to make the call.  i can also do certain hardware things like pair my phone inside the house with a bluetooth adapter that links it to a landline, which then can be connected to the computer and do some additional voip stuff or google voice things.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:44 PM »
It sounds like you may also be interested in DeskSMS:

DeskSMS forwards your text (and MMS!) messages to your GMail, Google Chat, and DeskSMS Chrome extension! And if you reply back, the recipient gets a text from your number!
You can use your favorite IM client (Beejive, Trillian, etc) or email client to send text messages from your phone number!
Download DeskSMS on your phone, and then use your an IM or email client from your PC or tablet to send text messages!
Step 1) Install DeskSMS on your *phone*.
Step 2) Install a chat client or use gmail on your desktop PC or tablet (like a XOOM)
Step 3) Have a friend send you an SMS, and respond from your desktop PC or tablet!

wetsmellydog

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I remembered this topic and then read about this program pplconnect.

It does everything you asked for, and more! I have not tried it yet myself. No real need but looks like an interesting product.

It can be found here: http://pplconnect.mobi/ (yes it is a .mobi but actually displays as a normal web page on a computer)