ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new alt.comp.freeware usenet thread with criticism of DonationCoder

<< < (3/5) > >>

4vrqrisPt:
OK, let me add my 2 cents worth.
I totally agree with  "tinyvillager's" assessment.
I came very close to posting in the alt.comp.freeware forum,
but decided it would be a total waste of time.

A lot of these people are ignorant and selfish.
There is absolutely nothing free in this world.
I was told this by my father when I was about 7 years old
and how true it is.

Some things may be "free" to you but somebody has to pay.
in the case of "freeware" , the author pays with countless hours
of coding,not to mention his/her equipment,ISP and website costs,
loss of free time to spend with their family etc etc

I think their (the many alt.comp.freeware people)attitude is
totally insulting to the software authors.
Not only that,but they act like they have the right to "Freeware".
Just ask many freeware authors,they will tell you how demanding
some people can be to the point of being totally obnoxious.

I think that "mouser" has found a very good balance with his
approach to DonationCoder.This approach is fair and very unique,
but unfortunately not appreciated by a few selfish individuals.

Thumbs up for "mouser".
To the supporters of DonationCoder:Consider yourselves more
enlightened than the other ignorant bunch.

Pete.

Renegade:
I've found that there are quite a few people that expect far too much from freeware. They seem to think that just because you offer them something for free with no strings attached that you then owe them a lot more. They generally don't understand that creating software takes time, effort, and skills. Compensation for effort never occurs to them.

There are a lot of people that are appreciative too though. You always get the good with the bad.

If people can't handle taking a couple minutes of their time or an occasional email in exchange for getting software for free, they shouldn't use it. There are commercial alternatives that they are able to purchase.

Personally, quite often I prefer commercial software as I can then expect support or bug fixes. Not for all things, but for some. Sometimes freeware fits the bill nicely. I bought a piece of software a couple months ago that goes for about $1,000. I could have bought another piece of similar software to do the same thing for about $600, but the company that I bought it from is well known and I simply get a certain peace of mind that I wouldn't get otherwise. Sometimes you need to shell out for that. I really don't have much sympathy for people that are too cheap to spend money when they should be spending money.

Of course I can't post in the Google groups as it's simply too difficult to not rant about this. When I offer something for free, I prefer that people appreciate it for what it is and not simply complain about it.

But I suppose no good deed goes unpunished...  :mad:

ronkon:
Keep up the 'good' and 'inspiring' work done by all associated with DonationCoder.com.
I thank God for leading me to your site and for the 'discovery' I made ... that there are still folks who believe in blessing others with their talents.
Being involved in voluntary work among senior citizens, hospice patients & the housebound, I was given TOTALLY FREE access to your site ... and I downloaded a very useful & helpful software with free licence for life.  How could I not send a humble donation after such an uplifting experience.   :Thmbsup:  :)
Warmest regards from RKW in Malaysia.

thunder7:
I am sorry Mouser I was trying to help however it seems I just muddled things up.
Please forgive me me.
 :sick:

Gothi[c]:
I too used "Screenshot Captor" recived a nag screen. When I questioned
the author he was rather rude .

--- End quote ---

Mouser? Rude? I don't think he even knows how to be rude. If there was an award for nicest programmer on the planet I'd give it to him. (Though I haven't seen him yet in his angry-at-the-computer mode ;D)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version