ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new alt.comp.freeware usenet thread with criticism of DonationCoder

<< < (2/5) > >>

zridling:
Perhaps we could start a targeted email campaign to ask that the major download sites begin distinguishing donationware.

It seems mouser hit upon the crux of the matter with users thinking they're downloading traditional "freeware." Even most freeware authors welcome donations — any donation — on their sites anymore. Hell, would an occasional thank you kill you?

:)

kimmchii:
one more comment here:
http://forum.maxthon.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=38979&view=findpost&p=260520

thomthowolf:

I donated to this site before the software key thing (which i fully support) and i donated not out of obligation or promise of reward but out of respect.Respect of genuine software developers,that listen to the end users.I respect the time and effort of the contributers of this site,be it software development or plain old helpful insight.If software discounts and givaways ceased to exist tomorrow i'd still donate and encourage others to do so cause bandwidth isn't free and again their is nothing wrong with rewarding someone with a financial compliment be it out of respect for the individual or the project(s) at large.The forum here practically moderates itself,it seems that way to me anyway, i believe that is do to the quality people donationcoder has attracted.When i listened to the first podcast and heard the different dialects i was amazed and fascinated by the diversity of donationcoder's members,call me naive,but i thought that was pretty damn cool.

Keep up the good work mouser :Thmbsup:

-tinyvillager (May 16, 2006, 04:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
Amen Brother (or sister)
I also donated out of respect for the software, and all the other stuff is just really great side benefits.

housetier:
I didn't read the thread to the very end. At one point long threads tend to regurgitate old arguments over and over. But my feeling is this:

People who are open to new ideas and differing views, are still open to new ideas and differing views. The others cannot be easily convinded and maybe they don't want to. And then there are many people in between who differ more or less from my views. uhm I just lost track of what I was going to say. Anyway, to quote from one of the five books in Douglas Adams' trilogy "Hitchhiker's Guide to(?) the Galaxy": "People are a problem".

I like it here. People who know me will take this simple statement into consideration. People who don't know me probably don't place any value on my brainfarts ayway ;-)

thomthowolf:
OK, so I went to that site and managed to read the thread all the way to the end.  I posted a comment.  Now I just have to say how happy I am to be back here on this site.   :D  Some of the people over there need a mommie very, very badly. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version