ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

new alt.comp.freeware usenet thread with criticism of DonationCoder

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
Someone pointed out to me there is a thread on alt.comp.freeware currently debating/criticizing donationcoder.com:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/browse_thread/thread/ebeee3c33afd517c/f703ad2ddac69f9e
--- End quote ---

I'm mentioning it here in case anyone wants to chime in there and add their views, whether supportive of the donationcoder.com approach or expressing similar concerns as those on that thread.

If you do feel like standing up for this site it would be very much appreciated, but please be respectful and courteous and let's show them the kind of respectfullness that this site is all about.  no need to attack anyone and let's recognize that some of the issues they raise are valid ones. But it would be nice if they could hear from some people who know the site from personal experience and can let them know what we are really like  :huh:

We probably need to do a better job of simplifying the policy on this site; it's something i've been working on steadily, but sometimes it's hard when people say things that aren't true and can scare people away without them even giving our ideas a chance..

(note you can post through that google goups interface with just a quick signup if you aren't already signed up for google groups - i highly recommend you do register if not for this post, for later usenet posting).

ps. this has come up before on alt.comp.freeare in the past and has been discussed on the forum (https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=1756.0)

vegas:
These people are just anal zealots, DonationCoder has a great policy for its software & it isn't going to, nor should it change. And yes, I DO consider it to be Freeware, because in the end you can get it permanently for free, so what if you have to jump through a couple hoops.  I say let them argue all they want, they obviously have nothing more important to talk about.  If I like a program I'm not gonna let some very simple steps stop me from using it or calling it Freeware.

Carol Haynes:
This has been debated, as you say, a number of times now - how about considering a rebranding to stop the squabbling. You could, instead of using the emotive word "freeware", call it "free2registerware"  which tells people it is free but you need to register.

Or start a new trend - communityware - all you need to do to get free software is join a community for free!

mouser:
here's the real problem though:
no matter what we call it *here* -
people don't first download the software from this site.  that's a bit part of the problem.

they download it from software listing sites - fileforum, tucows, softpedia, snapfiles, etc.

none of those sites have a category for donationware.  It's either Shareware or Freeware - those are the only choices.

I like the name communityware (though there is a squatter on the domain name communityware.com).

tinyvillager:
 Try ---ing  not to--ooo  maaaake personal attacks on nay-sayers,ugh.

I'm not gonna bother with the usenet thread,some people just fit a profile and you'll
never convince them,those who think this site is malicious and confusing either don't give
the premise a five second chance (literally) or are most likely those confused by doors
that open one way (and will stand in front of for 10 seconds).<i witnessed this the other
day and came close to murdering a close family member,i have a very short fuse. :D

I donated to this site before the software key thing (which i fully support) and i donated not out of obligation or promise of reward but out of respect.Respect of genuine software developers,that listen to the end users.I respect the time and effort of the contributers of this site,be it software development or plain old helpful insight.If software discounts and givaways ceased to exist tomorrow i'd still donate and encourage others to do so cause bandwidth isn't free and again their is nothing wrong with rewarding someone with a financial compliment be it out of respect for the individual or the project(s) at large.The forum here practically moderates itself,it seems that way to me anyway, i believe that is do to the quality people donationcoder has attracted.When i listened to the first podcast and heard the different dialects i was amazed and fascinated by the diversity of donationcoder's members,call me naive,but i thought that was pretty damn cool.

Keep up the good work mouser :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version