topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: YouTube finally forces creation of google+ A/C to comment  (Read 48016 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: YouTube finally forces creation of google+ A/C to comment
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2014, 02:12 PM »
It was a no-brainer for me. I decided I really didn't want to comment if that was the condition for doing so.  8)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2014, 02:45 PM »
Exactly.  There have been several times that I've been about to click to reply to something... then it asked me to link a FB account.  Or link my google account.

It's saved me a lot of brain cells in engaging in a debate.  And in many cases, saved me a location to go to in order to read things too.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2014, 03:28 PM »
There have been several times that I've been about to click to reply to something... then it asked me to link a FB account.

:Thmbsup: - I react to that like a vampire to a garlic flavored wooden cross with a UV light and a pointy end. :D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Bugginess in the YT/G+ world lately. Dont know if they're making changes again or what.

• Comments I make in YT not showing up on my G+ page.
  • Unable to find the name of the person I'm replying to (usually it shows automatically in the reply box, or gets suggested after you type '+' and the first few letters of the name). End result being I have no idea if they get notification of a reply to their comment.

Both pretty major bugs to me. Maybe my standards are too high, but one of the things that attracted me to g+ was the fact I could look back over my YT comments and thereby maybe find a video or maybe a user I replied to - or the uploader, or whatever.

They seem to do a push every once in a while to try and get me to use my real name: being forced again and again to chose between my real name and my YT one. Ironically they seem to hassle me less when my gmail account is open in same browser...
They also seem to have a sense of how far they can push - I was getting seriously pissed off with them last week - and there's been absolutely no problems that way since.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2014, 10:41 AM »
[edit] maybe I'm too quick on the draw here. The situation is this: from my home, I can only see my YT comments if I am logged into and using my g+ account. Otherwise they just dont show. As in gone. I will try from elsewhere tomorrow to see if they visible from another location [/edit]

OK, their latest 'approach' is to censor your YT comments if you dont use your full name.
No-one can see my comments on YT :tellme:
That is extreme...

I discovered this by accident:
they are silently logging me out of my g+ account when I look at YT pages (I think it's after hibernating the laptop) - they show instead my email address, and prompt me to open new g+ account. But anyways, I couldnt see my comment on a particular video, and actually thought the video uploader had censored my comment (which was mildly critical). Turns out that no-one can see my comments - only me, and then only when I'm logged in, and (presumably :tellme:) people who are following me.

I know I'm expecting the worst here (but with good reason). I guess it could be a bug, but a very odd one...
Tom
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:03 AM by tomos »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2014, 01:49 PM »
It could also be related to your sharing settings. For example, if someone posts a YT video on Google+, it will show up as a YT comment. And any replies made to the Google+ post will also show up as YT comments, but only according to the sharing settings.

In other words, any public posts and comments will show up for anyone. Any private posts and comments will only show up for the people they're shared with.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2014, 03:04 PM »
It could also be related to your sharing settings. For example, if someone posts a YT video on Google+, it will show up as a YT comment. And any replies made to the Google+ post will also show up as YT comments, but only according to the sharing settings.

In other words, any public posts and comments will show up for anyone. Any private posts and comments will only show up for the people they're shared with.

not in this case, all comments/posts were public when made; unless they've made some change & screwed up those settings - better check...
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2014, 02:21 AM »
Summary:
commenting in YT using my g+ account; public settings:
the post/comment is only visible on YT when I am logged into my g+ account. Otherwise it doesnt show.

the sharing setting are set when making the post - by default, 'Public' & 'Share on g+' are selected here - when posting in YT at any rate. My posts/comments have always been public. I dont see any way of changing that setting after the fact i.e. no way of now making them private (or have I missed something in settings?)

This is not related to not using my real name btw (my paranoia :)).
Anyone else having this problem? (A google search doesnt show anything...)

[edit] is happening to others all right - google YT forums - thread degenerates into censorship conspiracy theories, but I dont think I qualify as being worthy of censorship. At least I presume google knows about the problem, whether they do anything about it remains to be seen.
So,
my sole reason for using g+ is gone :huh: [/edit]
Tom
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:40 AM by tomos »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 12:48 PM »
Well, they fixed my last problem and seem to have introduced a half-dozen others...

I've read that they have recapitulated on the realname thing, but I've got to say I'm not sure what they're at.
This has been going on for a while now:

Machine #1:
Windows 7; Firefox/PaleMoon; logged into gmail account; in g+/Youtube with my Youtube name; no Java installed:

• I am completely unable to post in YouTube - it always opens a popup offering to start a g+ account with my gmail name suggested
  • [edit] I'm unable to view my 'notifications' when in YT
  • *but* I am able to thumbsup a video or add it to one of my playlists [/edit]

Machine #2 (differences are: Java *is* installed, and OS):
Windows 8.1; Firefox/PaleMoon; logged into gmail account; in g+/Youtube with my Youtube name; Java installed:

• I *am* able to post in YT using my g+/YT name
  • Whenever I load someone else's g+ page, I get an error in loading circles: i.e. I am unable to follow anyone new

At this stage, I suspect this is a combination of pure incompetence, and an unwillingness to let go of the ideal of having gmail and g+ and YT using the same name.
Tom
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:13 PM by tomos »

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2014, 04:24 AM »
At this stage, I suspect this is a combination of pure incompetence, and an unwillingness to let go of the ideal of having gmail and g+ and YT using the same name.

I'm going to go with incompetence.

I cannot use YT in OF ALL BLOODY BROWSERS... CHROME!!!  :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

No replying. No liking... Pfft. It's idiotic. In CHROME!

Now, in Opera, liking and replying work. But... The volume control always resets to 100% every time for every new video. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

For that one, I'd probably chalk it up to maliciousness rather than incompetence. Google/YT has a vested interest in Chrome and seeing users leave Opera. Incompetence there is possible, but maliciousness wouldn't be unprecedented, e.g. Microsoft with Netscape, etc.

I could be wrong about that, but... I'm just pulling these opinions out of my ass. They're based on jack as I don't have access to inside information and it's all just pure speculation worth pretty much nothing.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2014, 08:21 AM »

I'm going to go with incompetence.

that was funny with Chrome :huh: :)

hasn't improved since either (with FF/win7 at any rate):

• I can like a video, but not someone's comment
  • if I try to comment, it tries to get me to create a new g+ page (with my 'real' name as per gmail account)
  • but, I just discovered, if I share the video and click the g+ button - I'm able to post as expected (i.e. with the g+ account that I am logged into and viewing the YT page with)

so, definitely seems like incompetence
Tom

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Gmail users no longer have to embrace Google+
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2014, 11:01 AM »
Lots of media now talking about this.
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Gmail users no longer have to embrace Google+ ... The Inquirer
That’s a positive

By Dave Neal
Mon Sep 22 2014, 10:26

GOOGLE HAS STOPPED requiring that new subscribers to its services join its social network Google+.

Google+ is something of an also-ran among social networks and does not have the same traction as Facebook or Twitter, for example.

Perhaps hoping to increase user numbers and generate network momemtum, Google insisted that its new Gmail users adopt its social network by signing up for Google+ accounts, and it has been doing so since the beginning of 2012.

That requirement is no more, and neither is Vic Gundotra still the Google executive in charge of the network. When he departed this spring the suggestion was the Google+ might follow him.

Now, according to a report on Larry Kim's Wordstream blog, the writing is on the wall, although unfortunately for Google, it's probably on a Facebook wall.

Kim said that the requirement was dropped quietly this month, and Google confirmed this move over the weekend.

A Google spokesperson told The INQUIRER that the requirement to sign up for both Gmail and Google+ has been changed, but added that Google+ is still a thing and that if people want it, they can still get it.

"We updated the signup experience in early September," said the spokesperson. "Users can now create a public profile during signup, or later, if and when they share public content for the first time (like a restaurant review, Youtube video or Google+ post)."

A new "No thanks" button will now allow users to skip creating a Google+ account when they signs up for a Gmail, Google Docs, or other Google account.

Gundotra's Google+ account still exists and remains active, so thats something. µ

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Going on a tangent:

I, as many others, said early on that if G+ is aiming to reach Facebook level activity within a handful of years it is being delusional.

But it is by no means empty or deserted. 'Sharing with family' type updates is probably what keeps Facebook going more than any other. G+ was never going to just capture that market.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Going on a tangent:

I, as many others, said early on that if G+ is aiming to reach Facebook level activity within a handful of years it is being delusional.

But it is by no means empty or deserted. 'Sharing with family' type updates is probably what keeps Facebook going more than any other. G+ was never going to just capture that market.

While this is true... I think its more because they tend to serve different purposes.  Facebook is a more archaic form of social networking- grouping things in one location no matter who they are from and what its purpose is.  And that familiarity is the very reason that G+ had a long uphill climb ahead of it.  But, people predicting its demise are also doing it for one self-serving reason or another.  For connecting with groups of people and having communities, I think that G+ is a lot better in functionality and form.  For connecting with individuals?  Not so much.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2014, 07:40 AM »
My YouTube/G+ account uses my YT name, but is connected with my 'real-name' gmail address.
Here's what I now see when in G+ which is under my Youtube name (clicking the icon top-right of page; Win7 x64; Firefox)

Screenshot - 2014-10-30 , 13_18_27_ver001.pngYouTube finally forces creation of google+ A/C to comment

Notice that the gmail account + real name is labeled 'default'.
I think this is simply a bug (it works different in Win8) but I'll chance asking:
Anyone know if there's any way of changing this, and making my YT/G+ name/account the default ?

it's slightly different on a YT page

Screenshot - 2014-10-30 , 13_35_00.png

1) my email (no name)
   2) my YT name
   3) just my email again

If I click on the 'change' after my YT name I just get brought to my G+ page
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2015, 05:55 PM »
I'm just posting to note:
it looks like one can no longer paste text in a YouTube comment box -- I presume this is to protect against people pasting aything (especially anti-google?).

Workaround:
  • type anything at all

via computerforum.com

PS I have resigned myself to the YT/G+ situation.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2016, 08:04 AM »
I see my YT comments haven't been showing on my g+ page since last August. I dont have a lot of interaction via my g+ account but used to have some (none since August though).
I care, but not a whole lot.
The g+ page was good for giving me an overview of my recent YT activity -- that's what I miss most.

Comments on YT *are* visible when not logged in.
Comment history is no longer shown on my YT channel.

I did check g+ settings: everything was as it should be.
(I did disable and re-enabled some settings, so should check see if that made any difference with new comments -- older comments still not displayed on g+.)

So, g+ and YT alienate me yet again :down:
Probably not a bad thing, because who knows how long g+ is going to last anyways...
Tom

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2016, 08:28 AM »
Probably not a bad thing, because who knows how long g+ is going to last anyways...

Hopefully a while.  There's quite a bit of activity on there, no matter what all of the pundits who are waiting for it to fail say.  And their communities are better than boards in the format of them, and definitely better than facebook.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2016, 11:34 AM »

Hopefully a while.  There's quite a bit of activity on there, no matter what all of the pundits who are waiting for it to fail say.  And their communities are better than boards in the format of them, and definitely better than facebook.

Yeah, I can see that, but I was thinking what with google's history of killing off stuff that isn't fully successful...
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2016, 03:40 PM »
It's getting weirder:
if I go to my g+ page, without being logged in to google, I see one [1] post - and am no longer able to access the about page. Almost all my g+ posts were via Youtube -- *nothing* from Youtube is displayed. The about page had a link to my YT account and some scraps of info -- all gone. No info about followers or views are shown (settings only have an option to show views which is ticked).

I checked my settings:
Settings >Manage g+ activity:
here I can click on a dropdown that will show stuff like 'Comments', '+1 on posts', '+1 on comments', etc.
All this information is very dated. And none of it can be seen by visitors.

It really does look to me like google has decided to kill any connection between Youtube and g+. Alternatively this could be just on some accounts...
Either way, pity for me because that was my main use of it.
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2016, 10:30 AM »
It really does look to me like google has decided to kill any connection between Youtube and g+. Alternatively this could be just on some accounts...
Either way, pity for me because that was my main use of it.
turns out I'm behind the times,
this from the official youtube blog, Monday, July 27, 2015:
With today’s announcement from Google+, you’ll see more changes. The comments you make on YouTube will now appear only on YouTube, not also on Google+. And vice-versa. This starts rolling out today.
http://youtube-globa...outube-comments.html

Unfortunately they no longer show comments made on videos in your YouTube channel (the 'recent activity' option no longer includes comments). In other words, AFAICS there is no easy way to keep a record of your YT comments. If you make a comment, you will have to bookmark it search for it if you want to find it again...

Damn. It wasnt a lot, but I did have something going there. Gone. Ah well.
Tom
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:36 AM by tomos »