ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

The Hunt for the Best CMS

(1/7) > >>

mouser:
I go on a hunt for the best CMS once a year.. it feels like i lose a bit of my mind each time.
Still not found anything perfect.

In particular for dc it's daunting because there are conflicting desires.

In the past I have liked Drupal.  Or maybe a wiki cms would be best?  Mambo/Joomla has good integration with smf (forum software we use), TinyPortal is built around smf so that's really appealing.

But then i'm also thinking a static page generation cms using templates would be best for low-cpu usage (having every page access go through a dynamic cms is a big hit on cpu/memory because of database stuff).

And I like having the main site content be in flat files that i can easily edit from home.

But tight forum integration is a must..

And we want a system that provides:

* good clean organization for website admin to edit files by hand with custom html
* but ability for other authors to write articles/long reviews with an easy onsite editor
* ability for coders to be able to host their software nicely
* tight integration with smf forum so people can leave comments on reviews, etc. through the forum and have it listed on the page
* php would be preferred since most everything else on this site is powered by php
* good search features.
* looks clean and supports our sidebar theme.
there is nothing that meets all of these and i expect lots of customization and modification is going to be needed no matter what we choose, but i'm still hoping to start with something instead of starting from scratch..

any other thoughts and recommendations?

Currently im thinking of trying to find an easily extensible cms that works with flat files and creates static html pages from templates when needed.  And from there add lots of custom template parsing code to integrate with the forum.  Any suggestions?  It still needs to have reasonable user management functionality..

TucknDar:
you can't go wrong with e107 - www.e107.org  :up:

Tons of plugins, active development. Highly recommended!

mouser:
not found a satisfactory cms, but in the progress i came across this really nice wiki comparison page:
 http://www.wikimatrix.org/

try this wizard to find the best wiki for you: http://www.wikimatrix.org/wizard.php

Carol Haynes:
What happened to the integration project/competition that was started a while back?

mouser:
person working on it got half way done and then gave up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version