topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: do safe online game websites even exist?  (Read 3040 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
do safe online game websites even exist?
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:02 PM »
I have several older people in my town that having nothing much better to do than play on the computer.  They love to play card games and a few arcade style games.  I am tired of redoing their computers once or twice a year because they get on sites lite iWin.com etc..  I have downloaded a host file from hphost (malwarebytes) to try and help stop some of the junk from getting on their computer.

Does safe websites even exist?  is msn games, primarygames.com or gamehouse.com safe? 

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: do safe online game websites even exist?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 10:30 PM »
I have several older people in my town that having nothing much better to do than play on the computer.  They love to play card games and a few arcade style games.  I am tired of redoing their computers once or twice a year because they get on sites lite iWin.com etc..  I have downloaded a host file from hphost (malwarebytes) to try and help stop some of the junk from getting on their computer.

Does safe websites even exist?  is msn games, primarygames.com or gamehouse.com safe?  

Safe sites exist, so you have to think "double-smart" around them and carefully put nice little padded rails on that ravine cliff!

So for example, to use a "clunky-ugly-as-fsck* but example concept, each person is their own use case. So find out what they want to play and lock the living daylights out of them wandering "but this new site on the ad looked like so much fun!"

So see for example my jump page (one of two, same concept on the other one but that one is just email).

http://www.freevoteusa.com/Fun2013.html

It's no accident I need my Renny/Mouser/App/techidave/___/___/___ fix say 3-18 times a week! So, I put D-Coder on my "jump page".

Prelim - Stage zero. No one should EVER have a "commercial" site as a home page. That's where 20F of the crap comes from ... six degrees from Kevin Bacon and "Ooh Yahoo Wow News / Britney Spears/Gossip Central/ OhDearGod stop it!" See my jumo-page. It has StartPage Search on it, which except rare advanced cases gets basic junk done, so you tell them NEVER EVER type "Google". Etc. Cue Lesson.

Stage 1. Spend about three (for ex) separate sessions watching them just Do Stuff. Any Stuff. Then only put the legit ones on the Jump Page. For Ex, after that poor result with the ads, Mouser has a firm ethics stance to keep DC pretty "in the rails" away from the ravine. Like MAYBe Humor or Basement can lead "the turbo newbie astray" but that takes work!

Stage 2. Adblock, your choice of LIGHT script blocking. Prob is No-Script is really long to set up for like 30 legit sites, but block like the worst seven truly horrific offenders and tell them "you're an adult. If you see a weird ad on a brand new site you haven't told me about, don't click it without telling me first. Got it? LOUDER! GOT THAT?" They might anyway but the Cognitive Dissonance has a 50% chance of kicking in.

Stage 3. (Experimental) I'm not sure about this part but it sounds straight out of NANY - "can't click more than 1.7 domain names away with a webpage". So you're fine for Checkers.com, then Geico.com, (which they will click back from, it's not any fun, it's an ad), but then for ex on Geico's page it would block "Cars.com". (The 1.7 is my shortcut phrase because sites have a bad habit of going from checkers.com to games.checkers.com to live.checkers.com or other nonsense.)

Stage 4. For the horrible offenders install a really mean "twelve minute app" that basically only has like 5 screens. "Did you click any weird websites this month? Yes or no" "You clicked no. Are you sure, or are you lying?" "Hey, I'm not being mean, every unemployed person in the country has to answer this every week." "You clicked yes. Type at least one weird website you think you remember". "Is your computer acting really weird? Yes or no". (click buttons).

Stage 5. THEN do the behind scenes magic. Whitelist only 30 sites. If they want a new one they have to ask you to lose an old one. Nothing else goes through. EVER. These guys prob only have their X jump-list sites so it turbo-blocks ads because no matter what they click they can't get through!

Whew!

Some nasty stuff in there! But You can pick and choose. Point is, people are all fine politically like "make the unemployed leeching bastards prove every dollar they get" and go all "I wanna click any seedy ad that comes my way on my computer even though you fix it every X months!"

Hehe! Snarky but 75% true!

Cheers,

--Tao

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 02:16 AM »
I'm pretty sure this site is safe:

http://goldtoken.com/

I used to be a regular there.

You can also check out sites like Kongregate and MiniClip. I'd trust Kongregate, but I haven't used MiniClip enough in the past to confidently say it's absolutely safe, though I think it probably is.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 02:21 AM by Deozaan »

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:50 AM »
Thanks Tao and Deo for the advice and suggestions.  I was just on the thefreegamesdb.com which is now the free games for downloadable games mentioned in this thread.  I assume they are safe.