topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Arduino Leonardo Touchboard  (Read 7997 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Arduino Leonardo Touchboard
« on: November 05, 2013, 06:54 AM »
There's an interesting project recently posted on Kickstarter that looks promising for DIYers. I can see this becoming the reference platform for a variety of clever projects - especially homebrew musical instruments. (Note: it's already fully funded.) Great video on the project page. Find it here.

tboard.JPGArduino Leonardo Touchboard

What is the Touch Board?

The Touch Board is a tool to make your projects interactive, responsive, smart or just fun. Use the Touch Board to change the world around you by turning almost any material or surface into a sensor. Connect anything conductive to one of its 12 electrodes and trigger a sound via its onboard MP3 player, play a MIDI note or do anything else that you might do with an Arduino or Arduino-compatible device.
The Touch Board!The Touch Board!

The Touch Board is designed as an easy-to-use platform for a huge range of projects, whether it's painting a lightswitch on your wall, making a paper piano or something nobody's thought of yet. Make sure to take a look at our video above and check out the information below. If you've got a question, get in touch and we'll get it up in the FAQs. We hope you'll support the Touch Board. We can't wait to see what you will build on top of this powerful platform!

:Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Arduino Leonardo Touchboard
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 07:28 AM »
that was very impressive :-*
Tom

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 01:48 AM »
Looks like a bit of advance on the MakeyMakey concept.  Based on the same chip too.  Very nice.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Looks like a bit of advance on the MakeyMakey concept.  Based on the same chip too.  Very nice.

I was just getting ready to post that. :)  That project was pretty good... wish I had gotten in on it; there's some really cool stuff that people have made for inputs with the MakeyMakey.  Have to look at this one...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Touch switches are no big deal from an engineering viewpoint. But the ability to sense distance (or proximity) is the thing that got me. That is a very useful capability when it comes to analog controllers. Especially if a little adroit programming could expand that to detect and measure velocity without too much hassle. (Shouldn't be too difficult.) I'm already thinking about musical uses far beyond such obvious things as a Theremin-type controller (ala a Buchala-style 220e touch keyboard or a homebrew Leap Motion controller) with that feature. And I'm sure plenty of other people are too. :mrgreen:

The Buchala 220e in case anybody's wondering
keyboard.jpg

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:42 PM by 40hz »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 09:07 PM »
Theremin is the key.  Once you grasp why theremins work the way they do, sensing proximity is no problem for anything from theremins to burglar alarms to making interesting gadgets with microcontrollers.  I'm thinking a homebrew HotHand-type midi controller, without the need for the funky ring.  :Thmbsup:

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 09:34 PM »
That would be cool... would you get the same level of control, however?  It seems that depending on a hand is a bit sketchier than depending on a hardware device.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 11:22 PM »
That would be cool... would you get the same level of control, however?  It seems that depending on a hand is a bit sketchier than depending on a hardware device.

Practice makes perfect. Like everything in music. ;D

Most musicians adapt fairly rapidly to new instrument interfaces - as long as they're logical and consistent in operation.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Most musicians adapt fairly rapidly to new instrument interfaces - as long as they're logical and consistent in operation.

I would amend that to say "Most younger/incredibly creative musicians..." as, believe it or not though I'm sure you're aware, musicians can be a downright stodgy bunch when something newfangled comes along that "all the kids are using" even when it's "logical and consistent" (yours truly guilty as charged).  ;)

Darn kids, always changing the game before I'm done playing...  >:(

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 09:57 PM »

I would amend that to say "Most younger/incredibly creative musicians..." as, believe it or not though I'm sure you're aware, musicians can be a downright stodgy bunch when something newfangled comes along that "all the kids are using" even when it's "logical and consistent" (yours truly guilty as charged).  ;)

Darn kids, always changing the game before I'm done playing...  >:(

I'd agree totally.  I just don't have the coordination to use some of these interfaces.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 02:02 PM »

I would amend that to say "Most younger/incredibly creative musicians..." as, believe it or not though I'm sure you're aware, musicians can be a downright stodgy bunch when something newfangled comes along that "all the kids are using" even when it's "logical and consistent" (yours truly guilty as charged).  ;)

Darn kids, always changing the game before I'm done playing...  >:(

Neither incredibly talented or young I'd say.

In my experience, most musicians can learn and adapt to just about anything - even though I know many who choose not to.

In my case, I hate popping and slapping on bass. I strongly dislike the sound. So I generally refuse to play a bass that way - even though I did make it a point to be able to play the 'slap style' in order to prove I could if I wanted to.

I still have enough snark in me that I sometimes enjoy those occasions when a young bass 'slapper' takes issue with my opinion and sarcastically suggests I feel that way because I can't do it. That's when I'll rip through a 3-minute Flea/Wooten/Miller-inspired bit of bass wanking without breaking a sweat, and then just arch an eyebrow. Next I'll run through a classic Bach or jazz-type walking bass line and ask them if they can also play that way too... (Mustn't allow the little sods to generation gap us, right? Bwahahahahaha!) :mrgreen:

I think most bona fide musicians I've known feel the same way. It's not so much we can't as we often choose not to - because we don't care for the "new" sound or style.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52 PM »
I felt that way about "tapping" in the 80s; felt that way about digital stompboxes in the '90s, felt that way about Autotune and anything Line6 in the '00s.  I haven't found anything to be stodgy about for the '10s.  Maybe I'm finally old enough to not care.  Oh, wait... no more than 6 strings on a guitar, and 4 on the bass (though I'll allow for the bass if you're good enough to actually use all those extra strings), and dagnabbit, if you're going to make some music and call it "dubstep", don't drill my eardrums with a fire alarm noise and call it "bass".  :-\

And while you're at it, much props if you ditch your Kaoss or Launchpad for a Leonardo Touchboard and some bananas and wire.  :Thmbsup:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 10:02 PM »
The Synthtopia  (:-* btw) website has posted an article and video on using the Touchboard as a MIDI controller. Link here.