ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Lavabit & Silent Circle Bring You ==> DARKMAIL

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
I don't get where the comment is related to the service?  :huh:

TaoPhoenix:
I don't get where the comment is related to the service?  :huh:
-wraith808 (November 06, 2013, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because I'm in someone's target victory of "I will never trust any service ever again to be "dark". Period. "The best I can hope for is a social revolution or to die in my sleep", to borrow a song.

My cryptic reference was to the xkcd comment of:
Nerd1: "Look, 'Silent Circle and Lavabit are developing a new way to do email with end-to-end encryption.' "

But then see stuff like Mouser's note 4 posts above:
'Op-ed: Lavabit’s primary security claim wasn’t actually true Ladar Levison stood up for users' privacy—but perhaps a little too late.'

There's your primary conflict. I don't care what gorgeous bitcoin-enabled 512-bit-key security-through-the-roof system you have, because somewhere, someone, knows how it works and if "they" stick that fella on a stupid fifty dollar piece of molten steel heated to 2668 degrees until he breaks and spills the details, then none of it matters.

That's what Edward Snowden taught us, and that's the message of "SnowdenGate". Because all of these systems were supposed to be secure. Sure they could raid your house and subpoena stuff, but it wasn't really supposed to be auto-there wholesale from AT&T's Room 538.

Not unlike BitCoin: Some clever math there, but we're just starting to see its endgame, and there are two endings. A genius IQ 188 marketing plan where the first X fellas with easy to mine early bitcoins who can cash in can/are making a killing, and not only is it now almost impossible to mine a new coin, the Feds are on the edge of shutting all of it down, making it this century's Dutch Tulips again. That second movement is an "xkcd moment" - skip the math, pass a couple laws, invoke a couple older ones, and start applying bully force until someone caves in.

That's the real warning of that comic panel.

wraith808:
I was just asking if anyone had ever used it.  That's a big part of why I don't get how it was related to the service or the comment- but just seemed like random commentary.  :-\

mouser:
Follow-up article on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/11/op-ed-lavabits-founder-responds-to-cryptographers-criticism/

wraith808:
Thanks for posting that.  A lot of what was said was in the comments, but it was good of Levinson to comment.  It should also shut up the trolls who said that he should be sued for false advertising.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version