ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CryptoLocker and CryptoPrevent

<< < (2/6) > >>

IainB:
Further to the ethics points, I am seeing a surprising number of people, not companies, pay up.
Pay for the likes of MBAM pro and you are half, it's never a full step anymore, a step ahead
-rgdot (November 03, 2013, 05:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I always regarded my investment in a licence for MBAM Pro to be preventive, rather than curative. MBAM Pro has realtime scanning, which is apparently an effective Crilock avoidance tool - assuming that you keep it enabled. There doesn't seem to be any cure for Crilock, and paying the ransom does not mean that you won't get immediately reinfected - as some people have found out to their chagrin.

Giampy:
such viruses teach people to do regular backups.
-Raven (November 03, 2013, 02:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not sufficent, as certain ransomware attack all the hard disks.
People should do backups in a removable device and then they should disconnect it.

wraith808:
such viruses teach people to do regular backups.
-Raven (November 03, 2013, 02:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not sufficent, as certain ransomware attack all the hard disks.
People should do backups in a removable device and then they should disconnect it.
-Giampy (November 04, 2013, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

This.

So I guess, this brings up the other point...

...are the perpetrators of Cryptolocker held to reliability in unlocking the files by the fact that if they don't people will stop paying?  And since most people that pay are individuals, then are they held to a certain maximum price by the same regard?

bit:
Is this CryptoPrevent safe -and advisable- from this source?

x16wda:
I have installed it on my home PCs and advised some client techs to install on PCs of.. umm.. "likely suspects".. ;D

Have not seen any issues that it causes on Win 7 or 8. Same thing can be done with a GPO at business sites but this is an easy way to make the same settings at smaller sites.

I think if you're a business owner who employs non-technical staff this ought to scare the bejesus out of you. Unless all your work is done through a web proxy or something.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version