ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Sandboxie lifetime license discontinued

<< < (4/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
I can afford to support a great software program each year
--- End quote ---

The reason I didn't upgrade to the new license scheme was not cost.  It was the nature of the new license mechanism.  If the author decided or had some algorithm decide, that your license was not valid, the next time it called home it would be invalidated on your machine.  To me that's a rude way to do business.  It seemed like a pendulum swing from handing out licenses gratis to a draconian enforcement scheme.

But as it was I stopped using it anyway.  Messing around trying to stick very large downloads into the sandbox just seemed more hassle than it was worth.

But if it fits in with how you use your machine it's a nice software. I used it for years on 32 bit Windows and for a short time on Vistax64.  But it just seemed like broadband outgrew it.

MilesAhead:
Just noticed this article:
Sandboxie acquired by invincea: what it means

Innuendo:
I'm late to the thread here, but I have to echo 40hz's opinion which he voiced back in late October. With the evolution of virtual machine technologies like VMWare, VirtualBox, and HyperV becoming so easy to implement and use I don't see the technology used in sandboxing programs such as Sandboxie and Shadow Defender as being as necessary as they once were.

VMWare's new Workstation 10 walks the user through a simple wizard that does all the grunt work for you. It's literally a click next-next-go affair now.

mwb1100:
I don't want to be too negative with this news since I don't know anything about Invincea, but there was this interesting bit on the announcement page:

You’ve been running under the Invincea umbrella for some time now and we  have been working with Sandboxie Founder, Ronen Tzur, to ensure a smooth transition to new ownership-http://www.invincea.com/2013/12/invincea-announces-acquisition-of-sandboxie/
--- End quote ---

I wonder if this unannounced transition to Invincea was related  in some way to the sudden, without-warning end of the lifetime license offering.

I hope they honor the existing lifetime licenses. I have my guess as to how that will go; only time will tell.

MilesAhead:
Not sure about the licensing but it looks like the author is taking his marbles and going home.  They say end of Jan. 2014 he's done with it.  I sensed a change when Vistax64 came out.  There was pressure for a 64 bit Sandboxie.  I think he never wanted to go there.  At least the forums had a less happy tone when all that started.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version