ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Official DonationCoder.com Reviews

Should I Review Free Whois, Traceroute, & Finger Apps?

(1/3) > >>

Dragonrider:
:feedback:
What do people think about my reviewing free whois, traceroute, & finger programs?  I just yesterday received a phishing Email that looked so legitimate that I got suspicious.  But before investigating I had to download the correct tool to investigate with.  I downloaded at least 25 apps. before I found the right tool to get enough info. to send it to Paypal.  It was a very interesting exercise, but took all morning yesterday to find the right tool. :wallbash:

Regards
Dragonrider

mouser:
absolutely would be great know some good freeware ones; i don't know myself which tools work.
and might be nice to give just a short how-to for newbies?

Dragonrider:
So how do I go about posting a review? 

And when does it have to be done by?

Regards
Dragonrider

mouser:
oh i see, you were talking about a big full review - i misread it as you asking if you shouldnt just do a small blog column recommending a good one.

ok let me think about this, there are tons of options, we could do a full big review on the subject - maybe like a review of those full big network information toolsets (ie tool suites that have ping, whois, traceroute, etc).  that would actually be very useful, or if you think that there isnt enough subject matter to make a full big review with award, etc., then we could do it as our first mini-guide.

either way, the new two-week process makes it a bit easier to do guest reviews.  when tenseiken did his guest review of ftp servers, he and i talked constantly on irc and worked collaboratively editing the review.  with the two-week process its a bit easier since you could write the main review and then we would have some days to all chip in and make suggestions, etc.

as with tenseiken's review, i would expect that i would be doing substantial editing of the review to round it out, etc. just to give the review some consistency with our other reviews, but the bulk of the review would be done by you.  i can send (or upload for all) the basic review template html files - you can just edit that html file in writing your review.  or else send it to me as plain text for me to format.  i can also help recompress and format images and make a screenshot gallery if needed.

when would it be due.. depends if we do a coding snacks weekend next week or not..
after monday when this review is done ill post again with more thoughts and files.

Dragonrider:

I guess we really did get our wires crossed.  This can certainly be a big review or a blog mini-review.  I wasn't looking to give out prizes.  I just thought people might like to hear about my experience, a little about phishing, spam, & security.  As well as get a little info. on some of the freeware out there.  I didn't know how to go about either big reviews OR blog mini-reviews.  Please advise.  Whichever way you wish, I'm game.

Regards
Dragonrider

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version