ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

Bvckup 2 is in open beta !

<< < (11/20) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
Is there a way to exclude, say, files larger than 10 MB? I can only make rules for name and attributes I think.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure. I can think of use cases where Media files of a category can easily be hundreds of files, all over 10 megs. For example, European orchestral hard rock music would do it! Or maybe certain resource files.

-apankrat (November 18, 2013, 01:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Armando:
Everything works as expected here. Thanks!

A couple things (haven't got the time to delve into other details yet): :

1- When setting the paths in "Backup From" and "Backup To", the browse button picks the last opened path. So if, presumably, the last picked path was for "Backup To", setting up Backup From" for another profile will point to the last "Backup To" path.

This could lead to (serious) mistakes if the user just cloned a backup profile with the idea of just slightly modifying a few parameters (like the source and destination) and if the paths are somewhat similar.

IMO, the path for source and destination should be stored/memorized separately by Bvckup.

2- Some kind of "simulated run" option with a log showing what would be done is often useful. Most backup solutions have that feature and I always use it to make sure all is fine. Even if a backup is only a backup, destroying 4TB of data because of a slight mistake could be time consuming.

apankrat:
Everything works as expected here. Thanks!
-Armando (December 13, 2013, 12:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Awesome. How's your copying and updating speeds? :)

A couple things (haven't got the time to delve into other details yet): :

1- When setting the paths in "Backup From" and "Backup To", the browse button picks the last opened path. So if, presumably, the last picked path was for "Backup To", setting up Backup From" for another profile will point to the last "Backup To" path.

--- End quote ---

Aye, thanks. It is meant to start with an already selected folder or start at My Computer level. I fixed this a couple of days ago (another person noticed it). Some sort of obscure COM hiccup, doesn't happen often, but it always happens against everything that's written in the documentation. Go figure.

(edit) I should get the update out tomorrow or on Sunday.

2- Some kind of "simulated run" option with a log showing what would be done is often useful. Most backup solutions have that feature and I always use it to make sure all is fine. Even if a backup is only a backup, destroying 4TB of data because of a slight mistake could be time consuming.

--- End quote ---

OK, that's actually very easy to do. There's a formal planning module that compiles a backup plan, so a dry run would be just a matter of dumping that plan without executing it. The question is in which format should it be dumped - any thoughts on this?

apankrat:
I am using the current beta and find it very good. I only want copies of files; not compressed files, so I have very easy retrieval. I use 2 type of backup; one is instantaneous to a second hard drive in the PC and second to a USB connected drive. This gives "instant" backup as well as a weekly snapshot.
-Chris (December 11, 2013, 01:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, Chris. Glad to hear this.

The one feature that is missing BUT is promised is some form of version control. This will greatly improve the program for me.

--- End quote ---

Yep, I want to add it, but I want to do it right and that takes time.

Armando:
Awesome. How's your copying and updating speeds? :)
-apankrat (December 13, 2013, 12:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't have any stats -- yet. However, I tested it across a network (where delta copying will be most useful) and I can say it's fast. I also tested it on USB 3 external hard drive, and it's also fast. Perceptibly faster than what I currently use.

For now I plan on using Bvckup to keep a music collection (stored on a server) constantly updated. Will see if I should eventually use it for other purposes. Probably, since I like speedy backups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version