ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to avoid creating/using a Microsoft Account when upgrading to Win 8.1

<< < (5/6) > >>

cranioscopical:
Finally! Today I found time to update Win8 to Win8.1. This after a week when Murphy pitched his tent in our yard.

Everything went smoothly the first time round. Thanks to the advice in this topic I was able to avoid opening accounts that I don't want.
So, thanks to all.  :Thmbsup:

(The 8.1 Start screen is the most garish thing I've seen since the WWW began.)

Stoic Joker:
Wasn't sure where to put this and didn't want to start another thread, so...  :D

Had a client (who was out of town) call today in low grade ballistic mode after apparently their Windows 8 laptop just decided to up and start upgrading itself. Luckily I had stashed a copy of the installer for their cellular broadband card - which the 8.1 upgrade broke - on the laptop so I could get them back online over the phone.

Has anyone else heard of that bizarre behavior?

cranioscopical:
Wasn't sure where to put this and didn't want to start another thread, so...  :D

Had a client (who was out of town) call today in low grade ballistic mode after apparently their Windows 8 laptop just decided to up and start upgrading itself. Luckily I had stashed a copy of the installer for their cellular broadband card - which the 8.1 upgrade broke - on the laptop so I could get them back online over the phone.

Has anyone else heard of that bizarre behavior?
-Stoic Joker (November 06, 2013, 06:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, just last night I wanted to look up something about W8.1 and came across a thread somewhere that was stiff with such complaints. Did your client really do absolutely nothing to start that going?

There's this, too — MS put up a banner across my wife's screen urging her to upgrade. No obvious (to her) way to get out of it, When I saw it I though ti was some sort of scam but, no, in the end it led to the store.

OTOH I've 'upgraded' two machines now with no significant glitches.

Stoic Joker:
While they maintain they did "nothing..."
MS put up a banner across my wife's screen urging her to upgrade-cranioscopical (November 06, 2013, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

There was something to that effect mumbled in passing.

Still, it's a hell of a bind to put someone in since they were traveling by car when the whole thing kicked off.

cranioscopical:
While they maintain they did "nothing..."
MS put up a banner across my wife's screen urging her to upgrade-cranioscopical (November 06, 2013, 06:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

There was something to that effect mumbled in passing.

Still, it's a hell of a bind to put someone in since they were traveling by car when the whole thing kicked off.
-Stoic Joker (November 06, 2013, 06:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup, when one tells it to move on it just doesn't w8, it gets right into the download without ado — no second chances. Had I not been okay with doing the 'upgrade' I'd have been appalled. As it was I sat there wondering just how many people were going to get screwed by this — it's a really dumb way to do things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version