ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to avoid creating/using a Microsoft Account when upgrading to Win 8.1

<< < (4/6) > >>

4wd:
How did you get hold of 8.1 to begin with? I thought one had to have a Microsoft account to obtain the upgrade.-cranioscopical (October 21, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can also download an ISO with a little slight-of-mouse: How to download the official Microsoft Windows 8.1 ISO

Darwin:
How did you get hold of 8.1 to begin with? I thought one had to have a Microsoft account to obtain the upgrade.-cranioscopical (October 21, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's on page 1 of Metro Shopping in Windows 8-Stoic Joker (October 21, 2013, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

is it only visitable via Win 8, or can I have a link, please?

I have a licensed Win 8 installer, but am still running Win 7.

or should I stay away?

Windows 8.1...-Darwin in "So-called upgrades that ruin good programs" (October 22, 2013, 08:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
-Curt (October 23, 2013, 02:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

YMMV, Curt, but I say "run away"! Windows 7 is a peach. Windows 8.0 is stable but not really worth the bother of upgrading from 7. Windows 8.1 is an electronic manifestation of hell on your desktop... I'm a bit fecked off at the moment - I just posted a lengthy note about this on the thread you linked to above, followed up by a note about having suffered ANOTHER BSOD. Not happy.

rgdot:
One idea is to investigate the following:

Wireless section of a page for a Lenovo machine with Realtek RTL8188CE

-ewemoa (October 22, 2013, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Will try and report back, thanks.

rgdot:
Some cards (especially RealTek) don't play well. Intermittent, random disconnects.

If there are any ideas we can split this off to new thread.
-rgdot (October 22, 2013, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

One idea is to investigate the following:

Wireless section of a page for a Lenovo machine with Realtek RTL8188CE

-ewemoa (October 22, 2013, 08:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably have to live with the laptop wired and/or install linux on a desktop. Only other possibility is updated Kernel, with Mint 15 or other distro.

ewemoa:
FWIW, though I have no first-hand experience with:

https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/wireless-networking-gnulinux

I've heard that some of the hardware options listed have worked for some people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version