ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to avoid creating/using a Microsoft Account when upgrading to Win 8.1

<< < (2/6) > >>

rgdot:
Of course this is not wholly on topic but ... please Linux people fix various Linux wifi issues so that I can dump Windows even more quickly.

Stoic Joker:
There is no option to say to ACPI to leave the system off after a power failure.-Shades (October 21, 2013, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is pretty weird. But I haven't dealt with the latest generation of hardware much, so I'm not real familiar with the idiosyncrasies' of UEFI.

The laptop is currently 'Gathering Info' after having re-downloaded the 8.1 update (thank you fiber connection!). I think it would be best if I go watch TV for a bit ... Because if I stare at this blinking thing much longer...it'll probably have a spontaneous high speed hardware "failure".

cranioscopical:
How did you get hold of 8.1 to begin with? I thought one had to have a Microsoft account to obtain the upgrade.-cranioscopical (October 21, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's on page 1 of Metro Shopping in Windows 8-Stoic Joker (October 21, 2013, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. I haven't even looked at that. The one time I tried to it wanted me to have a MS account.

(I'm on such a slow internet connection that probably it is academic.) -cranioscopical (October 21, 2013, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's a 2.83Gb download.

--- End quote ---
The next time I have a month to spare... Oh, and is that 64- and 32-bit, I have both here?

It looks as if my only options will be stick with 8 or pay for the upgrade on a physical medium (always assuming that I don't have to pay the full price for the O/S a second time.

Thanks for the info btw  :up:

Edvard:
Of course this is not wholly on topic but ... please Linux people fix various Linux wifi issues so that I can dump Windows even more quickly.
-rgdot (October 21, 2013, 05:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

What's the issues?  I and certain of my compatriots would certainly be willing to help troubleshoot, especially if it results in giving Redmond the bird... a nattily dressed flightless aquatic bird, that is.  ;)

@Tomos: Thanks for finding that.  I think my son already has a Live account, but he'll surely be uninterested in using THAT as his login.  Not sure if he will be wanting to upgrade, though.  Once bitten...

Stoic Joker:
Okay, it looks like the 3rd time was indeed the charm...as the 2nd time it just fizzled with some lame currently updating error.

The link (for the upgrade) is as mentioned in tomos' article at the bottom just left of center and says "Continue using my other account".

Both my compiler and the Harley engine tuning software are still there...so I suppose the upgrade was a "success". But it sure was damn aggravating having to unnecessarily loop through it 3 freaking times for no intelligent reason.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version