ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's up with Flash crashing all the time lately?

(1/5) > >>

superboyac:
Lately, roughly about the last year or so, flash is crashing all the time.  firefox, chrome, doesn't matter.  At least multiple times a day for me.  All different computers...work, home, laptop, etc.  ESPN...like every day I think.

TaoPhoenix:
Unclear - that's a wide "symptom" spread!

I've sorta been okay - no worse crashes than usual ... but then you said "a year" so my memory doesn't go back enough for the three-odd Flash updates!

What arena do you want to tackle first? Is it Youtube Videos, a Flash chat room, Other?

Renegade:
Lately, roughly about the last year or so, flash is crashing all the time.  firefox, chrome, doesn't matter.  At least multiple times a day for me.  All different computers...work, home, laptop, etc.  ESPN...like every day I think.
-superboyac (October 15, 2013, 10:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you're quite mistaken.

It's not "crashing". It's not a bug. It's a FEATURE. It's there to help you stop goofing off on the Internet all the time. Those thoughtful little software engineers at Adobe! Gotta love 'em~!  :-* :-* :-*

Vurbal:
Flash was a useful technology for a good long time (in computer years anyway) but in today's world it's a solution in need of a problem. If not for the legacy install base on the server side it would have disappeared already.

As to superboyac's problem, it sounds like there's some kind of system issue involved and not just Flash itself. I haven't noticed it crashing any more than usual over the last few months - sometimes more often when a bad update comes out but nothing I'm not used to seeing from time to time. The fact that it happens on Chrome and Firefox both is suspicious because (unless you manually change it) Chrome uses its own Flash install which I believe is customized somewhat for Chrome.

It's possible there's some kind of video driver issue involved so the first thing I'd do is check for updates and maybe even uninstall/reinstall if you have the most current driver. If it's an ATI card I'd recommend using their Driver Autodetect utility and also the Uninstall program to thoroughly clean out the old driver before installing a new (or the same) one.

I'm less familiar (as in not really at all anymore) with Nvidia's drivers. If nothing else I imagine they at least have some type of autodetect option on their website if not a downloadable client like ATI. Hopefully they have an uninstaller too - or barring that hopefully you're using uninstall software that monitors installer activity and can do the cleaning for you.

techidave:
nvidia does have a driver detect option on their website that I have used before.  Not sure about an uninstaller other than the one that comes with their software.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version