topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Pirates Jump on “The Walking Dead” Despite Legal Options  (Read 4091 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
This is pretty interesting. Seems to raise questions about distribution methods and how they matter.

http://torrentfreak....egal-options-131014/

The start of the fourth season of “The Walking Dead” has resulted in a worldwide piracy craze. More than half a million people downloaded a copy of the show during the first few hours following its premiere, despite efforts to minimize the release lag to 24 hours in 125 countries. Fox had hopes that the global release would curb online piracy but thus far there is little evidence that this is the case, not even in the U.S. where AMC streams the show for free.

In part this might be because some prefer the unauthorized download option simply out of habit. This is especially true for U.S. file-sharers. As we reported earlier this year, many people who pay for a Netflix subscription downloaded Netflix’s exclusive Arrested Development release, preferring the download experience over online streaming.

There is also another group, one that simply doesn’t want to pay for a subscription, which is required in Australia for example. It’s also possible that they are just unhappy with the viewing options currently on offer. In many countries viewers still have to tune in at a fixed time slot while many prefer to program their own viewing schedule.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Pirates Jump on “The Walking Dead” Despite Legal Options
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:00 AM »
So why not just use the delivery system people seem to rather obviously prefer instead of trying to handle the traffic spicks and bandwidth hits themselves?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:23 AM »
So why not just use the delivery system people seem to rather obviously prefer instead of trying to handle the traffic spicks and bandwidth hits themselves?

Even if they did, they wouldn't use open torrents.  So, the effect wouldn't be the same.

If the habit is to go to Pirate Bay or to use a torrent aggregator, then the fact that its available elsewhere won't change that habit.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 12:55 PM »

Even if they did, they wouldn't use open torrents.  So, the effect wouldn't be the same.

If the habit is to go to Pirate Bay or to use a torrent aggregator, then the fact that its available elsewhere won't change that habit.

Yes asking the MSM to use a little sense and release their free stuff on Pirate Bay would be a bit too much to ask. However if they just put the stuff on one of the more reputable torrent sites...or (Gasp!) started their own ... then the aggregators would have a chance to pickup the feeds and people could end up switching with out even realizing it. Whoever's got the best stuff wins Ya know? ;)

But no they just want to rap it in more layers of even more silly assed commercials advertising and nonsense instead. Much like the DVDs that don't let you skip the 15 minute previews to get on with watching the movie you already friggin paid for.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 02:14 PM »
If they released their stuff on TPB, it would sort of legitimize TPB... so I think that expecting them to do that would be a bit much... :)

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 06:04 PM »

Exactly. "Legal options" is more than a little misleading. My legal option is to subscribe to a pay TV service which isn't going to happen. Not that I care about The Walking Dead but I'm a huge NFL fan and I won't subscribe even knowing it's guaranteed I'll miss out on at least 1 Chicago Bears game - usually more like 2-3.

Personally I've taken the attitude that if you refuse to provide your programming in a manner consistent with what I'm willing to do to consume it you didn't want me to see it anyway.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 09:31 PM »
It is about monetization.  The Legal methods are, like everything else in the US, inundated with advertising.  Pirated recordings don't have the ever present pervasive advertising.