topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows Networking, help me understand.  (Read 27275 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Networking, help me understand.
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 08:22 AM »
If you say it one more time I might shoot you!

I won't shoot you but I may chip in for ammo. :up:

There's just so much love in the room..

:D

Well...I just dissed homegroups a little in my OP.

I never said anything about shooting anybody.

Truth is, if homegroup works for  you, so be it. My real objection is over the (to my mind) odd and half-assed way it was implemented. But that's me.

Wana get me really snarly? Talk about the way AD or policy objects were implemented.
 ;D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 11:38 AM »
Well...I just dissed homegroups a little in my OP.

I never said anything about shooting anybody.

Truth is, if homegroup works for  you, so be it. My real objection is over the (to my mind) odd and half-assed way it was implemented. But that's me.

I know. I was just having a bit of fun tossing out a setup line to see who'd run with it (you were supposed to yell at me btw (hehe)).

I can't stand the damn things either, I run a domain on my home network. But I do try to allow for the possibility of there being a right environment for things of that nature. I'd wager that you think they suck for the same reasons I do ... The granular control we're used to just isn't there to afford us a comfort zone. But if mom, dad, and the kids want to toss a few files back and forth it's a workable solution that only require following a few - hand holding wizard driven - steps. So it's not a bad solution...for them.  ;)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 12:12 PM »
I know. I was just having a bit of fun tossing out a setup line to see who'd run with it (you were supposed to yell at me btw (hehe)).

Not me. You know your stuff. Any differences we have on tech are probably a matter of differences in personal prefs and IT administrative style. ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:01 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 12:17 PM »

I can't stand the damn things either, I run a domain on my home network. But I do try to allow for the possibility of there being a right environment for things of that nature. I'd wager that you think they suck for the same reasons I do ... The granular control we're used to just isn't there to afford us a comfort zone. But if mom, dad, and the kids want to toss a few files back and forth it's a workable solution that only require following a few - hand holding wizard driven - steps. So it's not a bad solution...for them.  ;)

That's about it. I don't like wizards because thy tend to toss the baby with the bath water - and then you never learn anything because it's all FM.

But that's only because I occasionally forget I do this for a living, so I can easily justify putting the time in, whereas somebody who has a "real job" (or just wants to get something done) couldn't care less how this stuff actually works. And probably rightly so.

I won't argue since I can use the weak job security deliberate ignorance on the part of the client provides me with. ;)

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Planning to do that tonight when I get back upstairs.

Naturally Windows 7 defaults to that when you first set up a network.

I'm not sure if you ever got your networking problem resolved - was the problem Win7 having "HomeGroup" set up as the default?

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Planning to do that tonight when I get back upstairs.

Naturally Windows 7 defaults to that when you first set up a network.

I'm not sure if you ever got your networking problem resolved - was the problem Win7 having "HomeGroup" set up as the default?

Yikes! Actually my first home network on Windows 7 did default to HomeGroup - Windows 7 does that unless you specifically configure it otherwise. In XP and earler versions I had always declined the "Simple File Sharing" choosing instead to set it up manually. And HomeGroup appears to be nothing more than a little polishing up of the old "Simple File Sharing" concept.

But I immediately discovered HomeGroup's limitations the first time I used it and - after doing a bit of web searching and article-reading on Windows 7 networks - I changed the configuration to Advanced Sharing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to obtain the same level of access that I did achieve on XP.   :(

BTW, I haven't yet looked at the user setups on my wife's machine... I have to do that - as well as ANY kind of maintenance - when she is not wanting to actually use her machine! If I go near it when she is in the office she gets a little... well... ornery.   :P  (Naturally I sometimes do this intentionally, but I have to be prepared, have an escape route planned or at least a couple of my kids to hide behind... Hey - I want to live!!)   ;D

Thanks!

Jim