ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Networking, help me understand.

<< < (8/12) > >>

techidave:
Computer Configuration>Windows Setting>Security Settings>Local Policy>Security Options>Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only.  It is set to "Enable" by default.  change it to disable.

Here is the explanation by Microsoft of this setting:

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only

This security setting determines whether local accounts that are not password protected can be used to log on from locations other than the physical computer console. If enabled, local accounts that are not password protected will only be able to log on at the computer's keyboard.

Default: Enabled.

Warning:

Computers that are not in physically secure locations should always enforce strong password policies for all local user accounts. Otherwise, anyone with physical access to the computer can log on by using a user account that does not have a password. This is especially important for portable computers.

J-Mac:
@Jim:

I'm sure the hive mind here at DoCo can get you sorted if you give us some additional info:

1. What are you using for a home router?-40hz (October 18, 2013, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

ASUS NT-R16

2. What are the router's network and wireless settings (excluding any passwords)?
--- End quote ---

There are several pages of them. Do you need all or just specific settings?

3. On each machine, -

* what specific flavor of Win 7 are you running?
* are you set up for a workgroup or homegroup?
* what are the network settings for your wireless card or NIC
* what are you using for security software? Is it one of those suites or just an anti-malware package?
* are you running a firewall other than the one built into Windows
--- End quote ---

Windows 7 Professional (My computer) and Windows 7 Home Premium (Wife's computer)
Both setup for Workgroup
Both hardwire-connected to router
Security software on both machines:
Anti-Virus = Norton AntiVirus 2013 (Standalone AV - no suites)
My computer also has Malwarebytes Pro, while my wife's has Malwarebytes Free version.
Network settings for NIC:

*** What all do you need here? The Properties box for the NIC on each machine? Status box?

Thanks!

Jim

4wd:
@Jim:

I'm sure the hive mind here at DoCo can get you sorted if you give us some additional info:

1. What are you using for a home router?-40hz (October 18, 2013, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

ASUS NT-R16-J-Mac (October 20, 2013, 11:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Same as mine, what firmware are you running, (Tomato 1.28 by Shibby here) ?

I don't have any problems with shares across the network between Win7, XP, WHS2011, and WDTV Live.

Here's my basic WAN, LAN, WLAN settings for comparison:
Windows Networking, help me understand.Windows Networking, help me understand.Windows Networking, help me understand.

It might pay to also reset to factory defaults and re-enter all info - I had a problem with mine recently, (power outage), that caused it to start dropping the connection every few hours.  So possibly some info in the NVRAM got corrupted - factory reset with NVRAM wipe restored normal operation.

But I'm more inclined to think a problem with shares will come down to either AV/FW or network settings on the computers.

mwb1100:
I'm assuming that you're not using a domain controller; so, one thing to check is the accounts and passwords for each machine.  If you and your wife each use separate user accounts, then they have to be set up on both machines and have to have the same password on each machine.  And as mentioned by Stoic Joker above, blank passwords can cause problems with Windows networking.

J-Mac:
We do have separate user accounts, none with blank passwords. However I do have both configured for auto-login so the passwords for each of our users do not have to enter the passwords every time.

No, I don’t have users setup on each machine for each of us. That was never a requirement on past OS's. Something new on Windows 7?

I have the ASUS stock firmware on my router. I haven't updated it yet. I was told in the past by ASUS Support - when I was planning to update firmware on an ASUS motherboard based on someone's suggestion - that I should never update their firmware unless I was having a specific problem and the newer firmware is supposed to address that problem. (True? Good advice?)

I haven't changed the firmware to Tomato or DD-WRT. Why not? Because I don’t know much at all about it and all help/instructions/tutorials I have reviewed did not seem to be addressed to the "uninitiated". So not being knowledgeable and not really having any specific firmware problems, I figured why screw with it. I know it is supposed to give me more options and more control, etc., but then again I have read a lot of sad posts from folks whose attempt to update to those firmwares failed - and they don’t seem to receive a whole lot of support getting things running again. They usually get told that if they didn't know what they were doing then they shouldn’t have tried updating. Sounded like pretty good advice to me!

My router settings have a lot more screens to show the same info as yours, 4wd. I can post screen caps of all if necessary though.

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version