ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Networking, help me understand.

<< < (5/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
While not related to permissions per se, that makes it a real PITA to add a network location to a library. That may even be the point although that would be stupid. Especially since you can get around it by creating a regular folder, adding it to a library, then deleting the folder and creating a symlink with the same name. Now the target of the symlink, network location or not, is in the library and can be accessed accordingly.-Vurbal (October 15, 2013, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's the indexing that queers the deal there. If you make the folder available offline, it adds to a library just fine because the system will then be able to index locally via the CSC.

40hz:
+10 w/Stoic's observation on AD and DNS within the context of Windows AD.

Half the new customers I get (who have a Windows server) come in with an AD problem because somebody in their organization decided to "tweak" or "tune" the DNS settings after the fact.  

Unless you really know what you're doing, and have a very specific and unusual set of network requirements, allow Windows to setup and configure AD and DNS. Then leave it alone. If you really do know what you're doing, you already know you won't need to futz with it unless you're in a very large enterprise, SaaS, or e-commerce setting.  

Rule of thumb: for your basic single-server/home/soho network - let the built-in Microsoft wizards do their job. You'll be a lot happier - and have a correctly running installation - if you do.
 :Thmbsup:

Vurbal:
While not related to permissions per se, that makes it a real PITA to add a network location to a library. That may even be the point although that would be stupid. Especially since you can get around it by creating a regular folder, adding it to a library, then deleting the folder and creating a symlink with the same name. Now the target of the symlink, network location or not, is in the library and can be accessed accordingly.-Vurbal (October 15, 2013, 01:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's the indexing that queers the deal there. If you make the folder available offline, it adds to a library just fine because the system will then be able to index locally via the CSC.
-Stoic Joker (October 15, 2013, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just distracted mostly. I can only focus on one thing at a time and that's rounding up.  :o

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

-Stoic Joker (October 15, 2013, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just distracted mostly. I can only focus on one thing at a time and that's rounding up.  :o
-Vurbal (October 15, 2013, 03:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

hehe me too ... I multitask about as well as statues dance.

superboyac:
Hmmm...one minor complication...I need a Windows Server flavored OS to create a domain.  So I need to make a new machine?  Or run one on a VM?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version