ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Networking, help me understand.

<< < (2/12) > >>

Stoic Joker:
I'm guessing this is the difference between Users share and NTFS permissions ?
-4wd (October 14, 2013, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
(ftfy)

The top one is the New version of (XP's) Simple File Sharing. So it's trying to combine file and share permissions into one thing. The bottom one is the Share Permissions only tab of the Advanced Sharing options.

I tend to avoid option 1 (the top one) like a plague out of reflex, but I spend most of my time doing business systems and therefore need the detailed granular access control afforded by the advanced options.

Stoic Joker:
When you connect to a share in theory the 2 sets of permissions are combined (sort of a logical OR) and you get whichever rights are greatest-Vurbal (October 14, 2013, 06:07 PM)
--- End quote ---

While both Share and NTFS permissions are cumulative independently, they don't overlap (e.g. they are mutually exclusive). If you create a share, and give the administrators group the share read permission only. Even if they are the owner and have full control NTFS permissions of a folder and it's contents ... When accessed through that share they will have read permissions only.

You need both to be explicitly or implicitly (via inheritance and/or group membership) assigned to you with matching (w/r) permissions to allow manipulation of the target files.

CWuestefeld:
The top one is the New version of (XP's) Simple File Sharing. So it's trying to combine file and share permissions into one thing.
-Stoic Joker (October 14, 2013, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

So that's what "simple file sharing" is doing? I have to admit that I always found it confusing -- NOT simple -- and so have avoided it since it came out.

4wd:
Thanks guys - so I guess the best idea is to just ignore the Properties->Share with dialog and just use Advanced Sharing.

fsmgmt.msc is crippled under Home Premium, (you can't add shares or edit shares), which seems rather inane if you get the same functionality going through the Properties->Sharing->Advanced sharing dialog.

superboyac:
Wow, lots of good info here.  Ok...I've also been reading about it today.

Here's what I'm thinking: I want to try the domain way of doing things.  It's what I've been used to in the corporate world, and I find it easy. I've never set one up myself, that's the only thing.  So i don't know how hard or easy it is.  But after it's set up, I'm familiar with all the folder sharing and networking procedures.  hmm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version