ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Networking, help me understand.

<< < (11/12) > >>

40hz:
If you say it one more time I might shoot you!-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 11:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I won't shoot you but I may chip in for ammo. :up:
-Vurbal (October 22, 2013, 04:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's just so much love in the room..

:D
-Stoic Joker (October 22, 2013, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well...I just dissed homegroups a little in my OP.

I never said anything about shooting anybody.

Truth is, if homegroup works for  you, so be it. My real objection is over the (to my mind) odd and half-assed way it was implemented. But that's me.

Wana get me really snarly? Talk about the way AD or policy objects were implemented.
 ;D

Stoic Joker:
Well...I just dissed homegroups a little in my OP.

I never said anything about shooting anybody.

Truth is, if homegroup works for  you, so be it. My real objection is over the (to my mind) odd and half-assed way it was implemented. But that's me.
-40hz (October 22, 2013, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I know. I was just having a bit of fun tossing out a setup line to see who'd run with it (you were supposed to yell at me btw (hehe)).

I can't stand the damn things either, I run a domain on my home network. But I do try to allow for the possibility of there being a right environment for things of that nature. I'd wager that you think they suck for the same reasons I do ... The granular control we're used to just isn't there to afford us a comfort zone. But if mom, dad, and the kids want to toss a few files back and forth it's a workable solution that only require following a few - hand holding wizard driven - steps. So it's not a bad solution...for them.  ;)

40hz:
I know. I was just having a bit of fun tossing out a setup line to see who'd run with it (you were supposed to yell at me btw (hehe)).
-Stoic Joker (October 22, 2013, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not me. You know your stuff. Any differences we have on tech are probably a matter of differences in personal prefs and IT administrative style. ;D

40hz:

I can't stand the damn things either, I run a domain on my home network. But I do try to allow for the possibility of there being a right environment for things of that nature. I'd wager that you think they suck for the same reasons I do ... The granular control we're used to just isn't there to afford us a comfort zone. But if mom, dad, and the kids want to toss a few files back and forth it's a workable solution that only require following a few - hand holding wizard driven - steps. So it's not a bad solution...for them.  ;)
-Stoic Joker (October 22, 2013, 11:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's about it. I don't like wizards because thy tend to toss the baby with the bath water - and then you never learn anything because it's all FM.

But that's only because I occasionally forget I do this for a living, so I can easily justify putting the time in, whereas somebody who has a "real job" (or just wants to get something done) couldn't care less how this stuff actually works. And probably rightly so.

I won't argue since I can use the weak job security deliberate ignorance on the part of the client provides me with. ;)

mwb1100:
Planning to do that tonight when I get back upstairs.
-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Naturally Windows 7 defaults to that when you first set up a network.

-J-Mac (October 21, 2013, 11:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if you ever got your networking problem resolved - was the problem Win7 having "HomeGroup" set up as the default?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version