ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Am I the only person that has a real big problem with software like this?

<< < (4/21) > >>

Renegade:
We take the time to build the rapport.   My children are homeschooled for just that reason.  And yes, for all of the talking, tracking, etc., there are still dangers that we won't be able to protect them from.  But as long as they're under 18, I will give them every chance that I can to get to that age.  And every bit of experience, knowledge, and education that I can in order that once they are there, they can have developed enough minds to be able to weigh the choices before them and make their own decision.  Not my decision, and definitely not someone else's decision.  But their own.
-wraith808 (October 04, 2013, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

It sounds like you're raising your kids to be adults. ;) Props to you!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

app103:
Not necessarily true.  I see what you're saying.  But there's also the other side of what a child does under the scrutiny of an adult vs. not.  If you tell them you're going to be monitoring them, you've already poisoned the well.  And when you *can't* monitor them, you then don't know what they'll do.
-wraith808 (October 03, 2013, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have heard this one before. Isn't this basically the same justification that governments use for spying on their citizens?

Have we really sunk to the point where Orwellian monitoring of our children is considered proper? Instead of taking the time to build a rapport of respect and trust with them??!?

The real key problem here is that if the kid has a GPS target painted on their back, then they're just as easy for anyone to find...and not all anyones have said child's best interests in mind. But yet we have obviously been trained to accept the idea of Big Brother-esq monitoring systems as righteous and good ... Because it's... For. The. Children.
-Stoic Joker (October 04, 2013, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

How do you teach your children that spying on others and/or being spied on is unacceptable, if you are spying on them? What kind of privacy are they going to have as adults? What kind of erosion of their rights will they put up with? What type of rights will they not think a big deal to give up, never having actually had them since birth? (you can't miss what you have never had)

I have always felt that if a parent believed or that if a child showed that they are not mature or trustworthy enough to handle the responsibility of something, the parent shouldn't give it to the child, be it a key to the house, their own TV, their own computer, the responsibility of staying home alone without a babysitter, or a mobile phone.

If you don't think your kids are ready for the responsibility of a mobile phone, don't give them one. And if you think you have to spy on their usage of that phone, that's a pretty sure sign that you don't think they are ready for it.

Renegade:
Not necessarily true.  I see what you're saying.  But there's also the other side of what a child does under the scrutiny of an adult vs. not.  If you tell them you're going to be monitoring them, you've already poisoned the well.  And when you *can't* monitor them, you then don't know what they'll do.
-wraith808 (October 03, 2013, 08:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have heard this one before. Isn't this basically the same justification that governments use for spying on their citizens?
-app103 (October 04, 2013, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

HAHAHAHA~! Well, not exactly. There's a difference between pooping your diapers, needing help tying your shoes, needing help with algebra, and being an adult. It's a process. Something to be weaned off of.

None of us have a right to spy on our adult children, and neither does any government.

Have we really sunk to the point where Orwellian monitoring of our children is considered proper? Instead of taking the time to build a rapport of respect and trust with them??!?

The real key problem here is that if the kid has a GPS target painted on their back, then they're just as easy for anyone to find...and not all anyones have said child's best interests in mind. But yet we have obviously been trained to accept the idea of Big Brother-esq monitoring systems as righteous and good ... Because it's... For. The. Children.
-Stoic Joker (October 04, 2013, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

How do you teach your children that spying on others and/or being spied on is unacceptable, if you are spying on them? What kind of privacy are they going to have as adults? What kind of erosion of their rights will they put up with? What type of rights will they not think a big deal to give up, never having actually had them since birth? (you can't miss what you have never had)
--- End quote ---

I think it's a process of weaning. However, my daughter hasn't reached the age where any of this matters yet. So, I'm guessing at some of it.

i.e. Gradually giving more autonomy.

I have always felt that if a parent believed or that if a child showed that they are not mature or trustworthy enough to handle the responsibility of something, the parent shouldn't give it to the child, be it a key to the house, their own TV, their own computer, the responsibility of staying home alone without a babysitter, or a mobile phone.
--- End quote ---

Sounds like someone with experience, and some good advice. :)

If you don't think your kids are ready for the responsibility of a mobile phone, don't give them one. And if you think you have to spy on their usage of that phone, that's a pretty sure sign that you don't think they are ready for it.
--- End quote ---

Not sure I'm with you there. There are too many uses for a phone. They might be ready for (or need) some functionality, but not other functionality.

We don't have a "kids' OS" yet. Because companies don't give a crap about children. They say they do, but they don't. If they did, we'd have sane phones for kids. But we don't have those.

jpfx:
yeah, yeah, yeah... and when you've already caught them out more than once and perfect parents & kids are what other families have?

40hz:
It sounds like you're raising your kids to be adults. ;) Props to you!  :Thmbsup
-Renegade (October 04, 2013, 08:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. That's a far better approach than to take the easy way out and teach them that stealthed electronic eavesdropping and surveillance are to be expected - and a normal and necessary part of what constitutes American life.

Sad how far so many of us have fallen. And even worse, how blissfully unaware (when not in active denial) we are about it.

But it's been said before: The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

And right now it looks more and more like we're saying: "The heck with a road! Let's build a superhighway to get us there."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version