topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 4:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Alice in Wonderland Rabbit Hole Math Thread!  (Read 5244 times)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Alice in Wonderland Rabbit Hole Math Thread!
« on: September 30, 2013, 07:06 PM »
This one is for math-y topics where there are a couple of levels:
Specifically:
A. ___ can be enjoyed "lazily" as fun entertainment.
B. There is a ferociously difficult math problem underneath to understand it "for real". There's some room for "social discussion."

Lots of inspirations are exploding in my head. So badly, that they each need posts! Here goes!

I work well in an outline style, so expect a few layers per post, such that it will reward revisiting this thread ... uh ... X times! (See what I mean? What is the optimal time to revisit this thread vs how fast do I post after X days?)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:12 PM by TaoPhoenix »

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
D&D "Monty Haul" (Pun Intended!) Stats Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:09 PM »

This post and related is about the cases in RPG dealing with what is the perfect right curve to level up, monster stats, gold/weapons/magic/___/___ goodies ratios both layout and realtime speed, character vs combat, and more.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The "Obvious but Unbelievable" problems
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:11 PM »

This is about the Marilyn Vos Savant type stuff where ____ (choose denomination) yelled at her over the "basic" problem of which door you pick on Let's Make a Deal.

Basically, it had to do with information timing theory and when you learned what, to switch doors. But basically huge swaths of people got it wrong, and unlike everything else they got wrong, that one made them angry.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Game Shows!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Lots of room here.

All kinds of inspirations:

1. When (Paul) Michael Larson *pulverized* Press Your Luck in May 1984. This inspiration is about going beyond slight tips and tricks. Larson was in between work and had time to spend noticing that ... wait for it ... what if those dancing lights *weren't* random!? And why did no one break it open before him? Once the machinery was known, why didn't X people break it after him? (Did the studio get really suspicious of memory oriented people?)

2. Funny clips on TV shows/bloopers!
A. Anne Robinson played such a stern persona that about once in ... X ... shows (see? the math won't go away!) tried to rise to the verbal challenges!
B. Hilarious clips on other obscure shows
C. (Left Blank for Later)

3. "Fun vs Math"
A. Thread inspired by this game:
http://buzzerblog.com/games/moneyvault/
The "Heuristic" is quite simple - you spread them out. But you don't know (initially/yet!?) how the money cards work on the two sides, aka why they are not just random, so "anyone" can get 6-8 entries on the board. But it's about the last few/couple that prove to be really tough because that asks you to get some 10-30% chance the final number will work. (Edited to include that a nasty run of numbers will bust you out!)

Yay. Game. But assuming no comp generator cheating, what ARE the actual odds? What is in fact the "optimal" strategy, and how often will it in fact fail?

I have NO idea how to frame that. But someone does, and I think it's a single equation (sufficiently long!). And Someone in this crazy wild world knows how to write that!

(This goes back to my old love of Solitaire, same meta genre. Notice the "Helps". So you/whoever make sure the equation covers the help resources!)

Enjoy!

--Tao

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Alice in Wonderland Rabbit Hole Math Thread!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 10:05 PM »
This post and related is about the cases in RPG dealing with what is the perfect right curve to level up, monster stats, gold/weapons/magic/___/___ goodies ratios both layout and realtime speed, character vs combat, and more.

The correct answer is to switch to Hero System to expand the possibilities and accomplish most of it during character generation. Both simpler and more complex, but that's what happens when your game is designed by an engineer.  :tellme:
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09 PM »

The correct answer is to switch to Hero System to expand the possibilities and accomplish most of it during character generation. Both simpler and more complex, but that's what happens when your game is designed by an engineer.  :tellme:

Hahaha!  :Thmbsup:

The Hero System is excellent! Takes forever, but give you the best fine-grained control of just about any RPG system out there.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:30 PM »
* app103 backs her dyscalculic butt back out of here.  :huh:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 02:18 PM »
* app103 backs her dyscalculic butt back out of here.  :huh:

Is it abnormal to have a dyscalculic rear end? I'm pretty sure my bottom never learned any mathematics. . . :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 04:07 PM »
* app103 backs her dyscalculic butt back out of here.  :huh:

Is it abnormal to have a dyscalculic rear end? I'm pretty sure my bottom never learned any mathematics. . . :P

where I come from, we call it getting things arseways ;) :)
Tom

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 05:13 PM »

Well, that depends...

Do you know your left cheek from your right? Or do you have to think about it?  :tellme: