topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:57 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The LED lights in your home could be spying on you!  (Read 9892 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
The LED lights in your home could be spying on you!
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:19 PM »
Grab your tinfoil hats and rejoice! You were right all along! They ARE out to get you!

An LED light can be used to spy on someone and hear everything that they are saying in their home. Don't believe? Here's your proof!

But who are "they"? Pfft! Silly question! The ILLUMINATI of course~! :P ;D
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The LED lights in your home could be spying on you!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 07:02 PM »
If I understand the video correctly, the LED would need to be modified with a microphone and a circuit to encode the source into the light frequency carrier. Then someone with equipment that can capture the light frequencies can extract the sound information, right?

I guess my point is that the LED bulb would have to be 'bugged' for this to work.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 07:14 PM »
If I understand the video correctly, the LED would need to be modified with a microphone and a circuit to encode the source into the light frequency carrier. Then someone with equipment that can capture the light frequencies can extract the sound information, right?

I guess my point is that the LED bulb would have to be 'bugged' for this to work.

Correct. A microphone is needed to pick up the sound, which is then placed into the light where the light serves as a carrier wave.

It would need to be purposefully done, but if you check the setup he has, it's relatively simple and can easily be done by anyone with access to the needed tools/equipment.

Lesson learned: Sunlight is Edward Snowden's friend. :P

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:09 PM »

Correct. A microphone is needed to pick up the sound, which is then placed into the light where the light serves as a carrier wave.

It would need to be purposefully done, but if you check the setup he has, it's relatively simple and can easily be done by anyone with access to the needed tools/equipment.

Which would make it only slightly less useful than the much simpler, more readily available, and mature technologies that have been available for decades. In other words yes, surveillance is relatively easy and cheap. In other news water is wet.

Oh yeah, and keep your damn hands away from my tin foil hat.  :D
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

gmk05

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 03:04 AM »
Yeah, very nice. Thanks for the information anyway.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 06:39 AM »
Which would make it only slightly less useful than the much simpler, more readily available, and mature technologies that have been available for decades.

Except that unlike the typical RF bug this can't be swept for - no transmitter to catch per se - Which puts it in the parabolic or laser mic class oh shit category.

Remember back when it was "safe" to just shut off your cell phone..?

Vurbal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Mostly harmless
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 02:59 PM »
Which would make it only slightly less useful than the much simpler, more readily available, and mature technologies that have been available for decades.

Except that unlike the typical RF bug this can't be swept for - no transmitter to catch per se - Which puts it in the parabolic or laser mic class oh shit category.

Remember back when it was "safe" to just shut off your cell phone..?

Actually it can be swept for. Modern bug sweeping technology already includes the capability to find the solid state circuit which would be embedding the audio in the light. That's in no small part because there are already plenty of tricks for making RF bugs resistant to RF sweeps. Bugs can transmit in microbursts, rotating frequencies, or simply close enough to normal RF frequencies like TV or radio to be indistinguishable from normal background noise. Even relatively simple spread spectrum broadcasts are nearly detection resistant.

And as you point out, remotely accessing every day devices is already a reality. Considering most people have one or more electronic devices with transmit capabilities on their person most of the time that's a much more efficient, and obviously scarier, way to eavesdrop.

What scares me the most isn't the technology that's available but rather how little thought most people give to intentionally transmitting sensitive data here, there, and everywhere. That makes finding and exploiting vulnerabilities easier by an order of magnitude which ultimately impacts even those of use who are obsessively careful.

The question isn't whether you're paranoid. It's whether you're paranoid enough - and very few people are. If you've got nothing to hide you haven't given it enough thought.
I learned to say the pledge of allegiance
Before they beat me bloody down at the station
They haven't got a word out of me since
I got a billion years probation
- The MC5

Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas to the danger of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label of ''crackpot'' than the stigma of conformity.
- Thomas J. Watson, Sr

It's not rocket surgery.
- Me

I recommend reading through my Bio before responding to any of my posts. It could save both of us a lot of time and frustration.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:32 AM »
If you've got nothing to hide you haven't given it enough thought.

THIS.gif

YES! I love that!  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

I've not heard that before, but it's just bang on!