ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hating on new Google Maps

<< < (2/3) > >>

4wd:
I am at point A. I need to end up at point Z, but I want to visit points B, C, ..., X, and Y somewhere in between. Now you (meaning the Map service) do the hard work and figure out the most efficient route for me to take.
-Deozaan (September 30, 2013, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

maps.yahoo.com - Grab the route line and drag it to whatever route/stops you want in between ... It's a beautiful thing!
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2013, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can do the same thing in Google Maps, or you can just right-click a place and choose from the context menu.  You can then change the order around by dragging the A, B, C, etc where you want them in the list on the left.

But I guess the OP means he's using the new version that's shown as available when you go to Google Maps ?

You have to sign in before you can use it, (something I don't see a need to do).

EDIT: Thought I'd try it anyway, it's made for touch screen users.  Long press to set start and destination rather than context menu - and absolutely no idea how to set a waypoint between start/destination other than drag to change the route.  And it comes up with some pretty fscked up routing when you do that - you end up backtracking half the time.

Renegade:
Well, one nice thing is that it preloads data for larger roads and map items then loads details after you scroll to a new location, so that speeds up some things.

Deozaan:
I am at point A. I need to end up at point Z, but I want to visit points B, C, ..., X, and Y somewhere in between. Now you (meaning the Map service) do the hard work and figure out the most efficient route for me to take.
-Deozaan (September 30, 2013, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

maps.yahoo.com - Grab the route line and drag it to whatever route/stops you want in between ... It's a beautiful thing!
-Stoic Joker (September 30, 2013, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's not quite the same thing as what I'm describing. Yes, you can easily add waypoints to your route, or make sure that you take a certain route by clicking and dragging (and as 4wd mentioned, Google Maps offers the same thing) but what I want is for the Maps service to figure out the most efficient route to hit all those points in between. Or put another way, I want it to tell me the most efficient order in which to visit all of those places.

gmk05:
I have no problem using Google maps. If slow load could from internet service provider.

Stoic Joker:
Or put another way, I want it to tell me the most efficient order in which to visit all of those places.
-Deozaan (October 01, 2013, 02:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! I'm not sure I'd trust a computer to do that. Unless I was looking for something like UPS's right turn only delivery routes. Jus strikes me as having too many subjective variables for a puter to get "right". *Shrug* ...Unless of course it was the NSA's computer in which case I'm sure they know much more about me than I do... ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version