ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hating on new Google Maps

(1/3) > >>

CWuestefeld:
Surely I'm not the only one that hates the new design of Google Maps. Let me count the ways that I hate it, and see if anybody's found good solutions to these problems with it:

* Slow to load - it takes quite a while, even on a fast (e.g., 20Mbps) connection, to load up the page
* Slow to interact - the page just doesn't feel snappy, at least in Firefox
* No multi-stop direction - I can only find a way to get directions from point A to Point B; I can't see any way to go from A to B to C
* Hideous links - to send a map takes a huge, opaque URL, but I can always use bit.ly or something to fix that
* Did I mention that it seems really slow?
Any other problems Google should be addressing?

tomos:
-CWuestefeld (September 30, 2013, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I dont know because I went back to the old version...
I was excited about trying the new version, but got *so* frustrated with it that I left it (and didnt keep track of my complaints). In fairness that was a while ago now (a few weeks at least).
I guess I should try it again and see how I get on - but you're not inspiring me ;D

TaoPhoenix:
Surely I'm not the only one that hates the new design of Google Maps. Let me count the ways that I hate it, and see if anybody's found good solutions to these problems with it:

* Slow to load - it takes quite a while, even on a fast (e.g., 20Mbps) connection, to load up the page
* Slow to interact - the page just doesn't feel snappy, at least in Firefox
* No multi-stop direction - I can only find a way to get directions from point A to Point B; I can't see any way to go from A to B to C
* Hideous links - to send a map takes a huge, opaque URL, but I can always use bit.ly or something to fix that
* Did I mention that it seems really slow?

-CWuestefeld (September 30, 2013, 05:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

New compared to when? When did it switch over? And do you care to say a couple of words on what the old version did better?

I don't use Google Maps all  that much, but I find Yahoo Maps doesn't seem to have any/useless Subway coverage of NY City, so it forces me to use Google despite my general dislike of their growing evilness!

Deozaan:
Did the old maps allow you to go from A to B to C?

You know what feature I'd like in a Maps service? Being able to do something like this:

I am at point A. I need to end up at point Z, but I want to visit points B, C, ..., X, and Y somewhere in between. Now you (meaning the Map service) do the hard work and figure out the most efficient route for me to take.

Stoic Joker:
I am at point A. I need to end up at point Z, but I want to visit points B, C, ..., X, and Y somewhere in between. Now you (meaning the Map service) do the hard work and figure out the most efficient route for me to take.
-Deozaan (September 30, 2013, 06:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

maps.yahoo.com - Grab the route line and drag it to whatever route/stops you want in between ... It's a beautiful thing!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version