topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 1:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Online HTML index generator?  (Read 7581 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Online HTML index generator?
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:37 AM »
We've all seen those little utilities that create an index.html page with links for every file in a folder.  But I cannot install any apps. I need to find one that's in the cloud.  I'm looking for the simplest as in it gives me a file open dialog so I can navigate to the folder with the files and enter a filter, such as *.zip.  When I click OK it generates index.html and offers to save the file somewhere locally.

Anyone know of one?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Online HTML index generator?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 04:21 PM »
Would something portable help, rather than online?

If so, grab the portable version of dirhtml: http://home.comcast.net/~dirhtml/

Happens to be my favorite utility for this purpose.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:26 PM by app103 »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 10:10 AM »
Thanks. I'll check it out.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 05:54 PM »
Would something portable help, rather than online?

Actually App this is great advice on a broader level. I'm just starting to shuffle a bit with my laptop vs my project machine, and for a few things it would be nice to just download one portable copy and then float the USB drive over, rather than deal with the low specs on that laptop (and currently also bad wireless!)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:00 PM »
I guess it depends on how locked down the library computers are - they may not allow non-sanctioned programs to run.

I was thinking along the lines of a piece of HTML/JavaScript code you could have on your flash drive and just open it in the browser.

Here's an example: Find files with JavaScript

2013-10-01 11_55_41-K__Search.htm.pngOnline HTML index generator?

While it doesn't do exactly what you want, (ie. output is displayed in the browser and can't be saved as a WYSIWYG web page), it might be possible to have it write the output to a new browser tab as a plain HTML doc which could be saved using the File->Save As menu.

Because it also uses ActiveX it means you're stuck with IE and the library might block ActiveX content also.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 10:15 AM »
These machines are really locked down.  I mean, it wouldn't even let me run Firefox Portable off a USB.

But the program App suggested does look a bit more versatile than the simple link generators I've used before. I intend to make a super simple page.  Just a heading like Programs by MilesAhead and links, with maybe a one-liner description of each.  That's it.  One size fits all. :)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:30 AM »
I hate to say this, but in a locked down environment like that, you'll probably have to hand code it, unless you can find some already existing application installed on the system capable of doing some of the work for you, such as word processing software capable of exporting as HTML, to make the text formatting work faster. (or you could use Google Docs for that part) and then fill in the links by hand.

If this is something you plan on putting on the web, accessible to the public, let me know. I'd be happy to help set up something for you, with a domain name & all. (all for free). All you would have to do is supply the files and descriptions and I could turn it into something similar to Skwire's software page for you. It would be no trouble at all.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 02:36 PM »
@app  thanks for the offer. I talked to Mouser previously and he wants to do just a mirror.. no domain hosting.  He has already set aside the page

I think my domain registration craps out in December anyway. No real reason to keep it going.  "FavesSoft" was named after one application called "faves" that actually sucked anyway.  :) I more or less wanted to put up a site with a product just to see what all was involved. I leanred a few things.  One being not to bother paying LLC fees unless somebody is paying me fees.  :)

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 03:05 PM »
Oh, ok. I was going to set you up on some free space I have, with a free .tk domain name to point to it, like I did for Tom's site. A simple, free Wordpress theme appropriate for the purpose, fully secured, with automated offsite backups, too. And I would maintain it and keep Wordpress, theme, and any plugins updated for you.

You'd actually be doing me a favor. Don't think you'd be getting away with no strings attached, just because I said it's free.  :P

I'd want an honest testimonial for my site, in exchange for the work. That way when I start offering my services to the public, it doesn't look like I just started yesterday.  ;)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13 AM »
Oh, ok. I was going to set you up on some free space I have, with a free .tk domain name to point to it, like I did for Tom's site. A simple, free Wordpress theme appropriate for the purpose, fully secured, with automated offsite backups, too. And I would maintain it and keep Wordpress, theme, and any plugins updated for you.

You'd actually be doing me a favor. Don't think you'd be getting away with no strings attached, just because I said it's free.  :P

I'd want an honest testimonial for my site, in exchange for the work. That way when I start offering my services to the public, it doesn't look like I just started yesterday.  ;)

Maybe we could work something out in that case. I thought you were going to do it on donation coder space. The only reason I'd want to keep the domain name is so links such as in readme files would work. (I did a perhaps inadvisable  thing and put caps in the readme links such as "FavesSoft.com/Whatever.zip" to make it easy to see there were 2 's's in FavesSoft, because I had an .htaccess line that set the domain portion to lower case automagically.)  Also I'd be able to update pad files.  That would be cool.  :) Mouser can always just delete the page if we go ahead.  I'd only want to offer program utilities for download.  I can recycle the wallpapers.  None were particularly artistic anyway.  So total space used should be only a few MB.

app103

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Maybe we could work something out in that case. I thought you were going to do it on donation coder space. The only reason I'd want to keep the domain name is so links such as in readme files would work. (I did a perhaps inadvisable  thing and put caps in the readme links such as "FavesSoft.com/Whatever.zip" to make it easy to see there were 2 's's in FavesSoft, because I had an .htaccess line that set the domain portion to lower case automagically.)  Also I'd be able to update pad files.  That would be cool.  :) Mouser can always just delete the page if we go ahead.  I'd only want to offer program utilities for download.  I can recycle the wallpapers.  None were particularly artistic anyway.  So total space used should be only a few MB.

We should probably continue this discussion privately.