topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Yay! I've got the old style of Gmail Compose back - in Firefox!  (Read 5266 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
It has really been p#ss$ng me off - the way Google, not content with making Gmail a space-wasting, glary, and eye-straining as all heck mess, then decided to arbitrarily take away the Compose page and replace it with a compulsory squidgy, cramped-up piece of rubbish. I detest being dictated to by service suppliers.
If you use Chrome/Chromium, then there is apparently an extension you can download from the app store that will restore the old-style Compose page and functionality, but there's apparently nothing similar for Firefox.

Then today I read in a Lifehacker post:
Gmail Compose Windows, Noisy Environments, and Progress Bars
Force Your Browser to Load the Old Gmail Compose Window
Scott shares a way to force Gmail to use the classic compose window:
  • I learned that specialized extensions that bring back the old Gmail compose window mostly work by switching the user agent to Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0). So I just downloaded the UAControl extension for Firefox, which lets you set up the user agent on a per site basis. Now whenever I am using Gmail in Firefox, I have the classic compose window!

So, I downloaded/installed the Firefox add-on UAControl
Then I restarted Firefox opened the new add-on's Options panel, and added the two properties lines thus:
   mail.google.com
   Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0)
Firefox UAControl add-on - setting for Gmail Compose.png

Then I refreshed the Gmail page, pressed the stupid big red Compose button, and presto! There it was. The old-style Compose page, ergonomically rather good, with appearance and functionality returned.
Try it yourself if you want the return of the old-style Compose page.
Then you too can flip Google the bird.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Yay! I've got the old style of Gmail Compose back - in Firefox!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:36 AM »
Heh I don't need this precise advice, "but I approve of this message".

I "spread the word" of Firefox Adblock (I know, basic level) to my cable internet installer, just because on principle I get grouchy about how these guys like to move stuff around slowly taking our comps away from us.

I know, drifting off topic a hair, but in topic at the meta level, today I finally discovered the reason for the strange "usability problem" signing out of yahoo mail. You have to *mouse-over but not click* a field, and only then click sign out. For misc reasons, I finally did it today without adblock on.

Answer: it tricks you into clicking the ad!
:tellme:  :mad:

p.s. Yahoo has started animating their yahoo logo in searches with airplanes and junk! Adlblock daily to the rescue!

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 05:46 PM »
That was pretty much the way I forced GMail to default to the basic HTML version in K-meleon, on my old slow PC. Except there was no plugins or add-ons needed to do it. (K-Meleon has the ability to change the user agent on the fly, built in)

I just clicked the button on the toolbar and typed something like "Have mercy on this Snail PC" in the box and GMail had no clue how to handle that, so it automatically sent me straight to the basic HTML version, with a message up at the top about how my browser was unsupported.  ;D

Since I already have User Agent Switcher for Firefox installed (comes in handy for other things), I might use it for this on an as-needed basis, as I only prefer the old Compose when accessing from my personal email account (not all accounts).

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 11:25 PM »
Many thanks, IainB!  I thought I'd pretty much reconciled myself to using the ugly, annoying new style until I read your message, downloaded the add-on, and tried it out.  What a pleasure!   

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:58 PM »
also featured in Lifehacker, there is another add-on which automates the UA trick called 'Old Compose'.

http://lifehacker.co...rings-the-1308260149

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 04:40 AM »
also featured in Lifehacker, there is another add-on which automates the UA trick called 'Old Compose'.
http://lifehacker.co...rings-the-1308260149
Yes, thanks for getting that link. I referred to the Chrome/Chromium extension in my opening post, but I had not trialled it. Actually, I went to trial it before making the post, but then abandoned it when I read:
...Old Compose is free, but it requires you to share the link on Twitter or Facebook before you get the download. ...
Not with a 10-foot bargepole.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41 AM »
Many thanks, IainB!  I thought I'd pretty much reconciled myself to using the ugly, annoying new style until I read your message, downloaded the add-on, and tried it out.  What a pleasure!   
Yes, I was dee-lighted about it too.    :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 06:04 AM »
Yes, thanks for getting that link. I referred to the Chrome/Chromium extension in my opening post, but I had not trialled it. Actually, I went to trial it before making the post, but then abandoned it when I read:
...Old Compose is free, but it requires you to share the link on Twitter or Facebook before you get the download. ...
Not with a 10-foot bargepole.

that article on LH must be outdated because now they also require an email address to download.. ;D

Spoiler
firefox_2013-10-01_00004.png