topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Extremely Simple chat app for an HTML/PHP website  (Read 3140 times)

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Extremely Simple chat app for an HTML/PHP website
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:23 PM »
I am trying to find something that could be used to allow up to 5 or 6 people to carry on simple conversations while they are all logged into the same site.  I have seen and tried so many only to find that in the end, they all are too complicated to be used for what is needed.  
No smileys no nothing but text.  Best example I can think of is 5 people looking at a group of photos on a webpage and discussing the merits of each.  
I could give up a strip of space at the side which would allow for simple conversations but that is all I need.  nothing more.  

The biggest problem is that this is a very minor need but one which was requested.  It may not get used much but when it is used, it will be appreciated by those who use it.  I have considered linking to an outside service to provide the chat-function if necessary but would rather keep it all in house if possible.  In the long ago days of BBS systems this was not such an uncommon thing to have but now most chat setups are anything BUT simple. two people typing on the same sheet of paper is about as complicated as I need. :)

This is a project I started on about this time last year, made some progress, got sidetracked on other issues, and never finished. Now it is a topic of interest again.  It seems that the best I was able to find back then was some kind of "Community BBS" or .. The name is something I just do not remember but it was a donation supported program of some kind.  Thanks for any suggestions  And someone Please!  Tell me if I put this in the wrong place :) I have a feeling maybe it should be posted elsewhere.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 10:25 PM by questorfla, Reason: Asking for clarity »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Extremely Simple chat app for an HTML/PHP website
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 09:28 AM »
THis can probably be removed (?) - was also posted in General Software :
https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=36204.0
Tom

questorfla

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
  • Fighting Slime all the Time
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:53 AM »
Yes, it probably can,  I just did not know where to best post it.  I figured someone would be kind enough to let me know so I appreciate that.  Should it be left in General software or am I still in the wrong place ?  Thanks

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Yes, it probably can,  I just did not know where to best post it.  I figured someone would be kind enough to let me know so I appreciate that.  Should it be left in General software or am I still in the wrong place ?  Thanks

hi questerflora - a moderator can remove this one - the other one is fine I'm sure (it's just that two threads with the same request can cause confusion)

I'll just give the link for the other one again - please post there if you want to reply to OP
Tom

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 10:59 AM »
Locking this one would probably be a good idea, so that's what I am doing.

Anyone interested in replying should do so here: https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=36204.0