ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

SHMUP, A Löve2D story

<< < (3/3)

p3lb0x:
This might kind of suck, but I have decided to stop working on this here project. The game bugged down at the point I am at now and it would render the game unplayable in the long run. I have tried to fix some of the stuff and come to the conclusion that it would be a waste of time trying to fix things. Some of the optimizations I should have done in SHMUP needed to be done earlier and with more forethought to be effective which is why I decided that it wasn't worth it. The entire ordeal hasn't been a waste though, as I've learned a lot about Löve2D and general programming things. With this knowledge I should be able to complete my NANY project not just faster but also more cleanly and bug free.

Things I've learned:

* Basic idea and execution of object oriented programming
* How to hopefully keep things manageable by breaking tasks up into chunks
* That I need a game plan at the beginning rather than doing stuff that feels fun

Short list of things I need to remember:

* Don't calculate stuff constantly that could be calculated once and saved
* Don't use expensive math functions if possible, even if they are more convenient
* Make use of functions for drawing that speeds up the process (Quads, spritebatches, and canvas's)
* Try to plan out the general framework ahead of time instead of doing it as you go along (Don't go overboard though)
* Try to minimize feature creep, do one thing at a time and then move on to the next.

With that said, I am open for ideas relating to what kind of game I could finish for a NANY as I am not very imaginative.

edit: Also found out that there are löve2d builds made with LuaJIT which apparently speeds up math calculations a lot

Ath:
This might kind of suck, but I have decided to stop working on this here project. The game ...
-p3lb0x (October 08, 2013, 08:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
and
Things I've learned:
--- End quote ---
this
Short list of things I need to remember:
--- End quote ---
and this
Also found out that...
--- End quote ---

Isn't that what a perfect PoC should be? You started a project with the object of learning something new, you did, you made a few mistakes/errors/bad decisions/n00b faults, then to throw it all away and use the knowledge gained for a real project. Kudo's :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
Keep us posted on what you make next. It was enjoyable to follow your progress on this project. :Thmbsup:

mouser:
Just want to echo what Ath and Deozaan said  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version